Totara Perform Open Discussions

Preview appraisal

Nikki Malone
Preview appraisal
by Nikki Malone - Friday, 23 October 2020, 8:26 AM
Group Outstanding learner 2023Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi there, 

I've just started look at the appraisal function and I can't seem to find a preview option only an Activate?

Is that correct or have I missed something?

Thank you

Nikki

Phil Williscroft
Re: Preview appraisal
by Phil Williscroft - Monday, 26 October 2020, 1:43 PM

Hi Nikki.
To introduce myself.  I'm the product owner for Perform.

To answer your enquiry.
You are correct there is no preview in performance activities for v13.  We have improved the WYSIWYG of the admin experience significantly for each individual question element.  We believe that this provides a good admin experience while creating the form

However, we do recognise use cases for being able to preview the entire form, particularly as a specific user of the form to confirm the experience for that user.

We are currently in discovery and prioritising the features for v14.   Features to provide parity with v12 and that are requested by partners will have obvious priority.
I'd appreciate it if you can describe the user case you are trying to meet.

Thanks

Phil

Nikki Malone
by Nikki Malone - Wednesday, 4 November 2020, 7:38 AM

Hello Phil,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I clearly missed your response in my inbox!

The preview option was really useful for the Appraisal creator to view it as a learner, manager, appraiser to see and test how it may flow, identify any issues and amend before making it active. I appreciate Perform is much more fluid now but I think it's a feature that will be missed by those who are used to seeing it.

Thank you

Nikki

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 4 November 2020, 12:09 PM

Hi Nikki.
No problem, its good to have your feedback.

Re the workflow for each user role.  Yes that's clearly of merit, particularly where the process is convoluted.  However its your last statement that interests me.
but I think it's a feature that will be missed by those who are used to seeing it.
This is the assessment I am making at he moment.  Are the features that we missed from appraisals still valid, or are they features partners 'expect'.  Understanding your use cases is the way I can judge this.  So your feedback is critical.

I'll add your feedback to the improvement feature for reference.

Nikki Malone
by Nikki Malone - Tuesday, 10 November 2020, 1:38 AM

Morning Phil,

I have a demo with a customer who is interested in Perform tomorrow so I'll see if they notice it's missing!.

When creating them especially long ones, it's so important to check that it flows and everyone can see what they should see and answer what they should answer etc.

I also accidently found that you can drag and drop the boxes and move them, before I found it I started from scratch and wasted a whole lot of time getting the questions in order, there is no icon to indicate you could do that (move) and I didn't see anything in the help files, but I may have missed that!

The other thing I spotted was the long text box has a scroll bar to the side rather than being able to expand the box and stretch it  to see the full answer.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Many thanks

Nikki

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Tuesday, 10 November 2020, 12:41 PM

Hi Nikki,
That's great usability feedback, thanks.  I'll look at those point now.  Re the role preview, yes it'll be interesting to see how users perceive this, or not....  :-) 

In regard to the other issues you've noticed.

Drag and drop. 

• The icon is in the top left corner of the element, it appears when you hover over the question.  This clearly wasn't obvious to you; perhaps because you didn't even understand that drag and drop was available there's no way you'd recognize the icon popping up meant that (even if you saw it in the corner of your eye).
  • Help.  You're correct, this isn't mentioned.  I'll get that added.

The use of a scroll bar for long text,.

• This is a design decision to constrain the length of the form.  
  • As an aside I've have noticed that the width of the text box is defaulted to 32 chars, which is too small.  Optimal reading is 70-100 chars, so I'll get that changed.