Totara Learn Open Discussions

guest access

Clive Massyn
guest access
by Clive Massyn - Wednesday, 4 November 2020, 3:15 PM

Hi guys, 

I may be asking a really simple question but if we wanted to grant someone guest access to our LMS would we need to create a manual account and assign guest role? If that is the case, I cannot see how to assign the guest role. Guest role does not appear under the permissions> assign system role? I have added guest as authentication on the course.

If someone logs in with guest role will they be able to see all courses on the LMS that all users can see? How could we restrict it that they can only see that one course? 

Thanks 

Clive

me
Re: guest access
by George Angus - Wednesday, 4 November 2020, 7:23 PM
Group Totara

Hey Clive,

There's some info about guest access here:

https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TH13/Using+common+roles

Let us know if you've any further questions.

cheers,

George.

Clive Massyn
by Clive Massyn - Thursday, 5 November 2020, 10:13 AM

Hi George,

Thanks for the link. I should mention we are on V12. I had already read the help pages for v12 and then looked at the link that you sent me. So this is my understanding:

• There is no need to create a profile for guests, you can just enable the guest login button
  • The course that you want the guest to see needs to have guest enrollment enabled
  • When the guest logins in, they will still be able to see all the courses in grid catalogue but won't be able to access any that don't have guest enrollment enabled

If I created a manual account (to avoid enabling the guest login button), it seems that I can't assign the guest role to that manual account? I also can't manually enroll the guest user into the course and choose guest as the role (that option didn't come up on my system anyway)? 

What I am trying to figure out is how we can give someone access to view a course (SCORM files included) so that they can only see that course and not record their participation (to avoid messing up reporting).

Clive 

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 5 November 2020, 11:35 AM
Group Totara

Hi Clive,

Yep - you're right about the Guest role, its different from the manually created account - the manually created account is a unique personal account with personal logins which will have a tracked record of learning, the guest will not.

Just to be clear - why don't you want their participation in the course recorded?

cheers,

George.

Clive Massyn
by Clive Massyn - Thursday, 5 November 2020, 7:48 PM

Hi George, 

Well its really just for the guest to see the content of the course, we wouldn't really want the guest to be pulled as part of our reporting (its not the end of the world if they did) but its really just about giving someone access to see the course content without sending review links for the SCORM etc 

thanks

Clive

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 8 November 2020, 2:21 PM
Group Totara

Hey Clive,

You could create two versions of the course, and control the visibility of the tracked course using Audience visibility - so learners see the real course when they become part of an audience - say on completing an quiz in the dummy course (Q1 - do you wish to take this course?).

Or maybe you could use the restrict access functionality (previously known as conditional access) which allows you to set certain criteria that must be met for learners to view and/or complete an activity or resource, for another tracked copy of the SCORM in the same course.

hope this is useful,

cheers,

George.