Totara Learn Open Discussions

Enrolment confusion

Larry Mitipelo
Enrolment confusion
by Larry Mitipelo - Wednesday, 16 October 2019, 6:29 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Hi all,

Has anyone had any issues with learners being confused by the term enrolment?

When a course has a workshop some of our learners are taking it to mean when they are enrolled that they are also booked on the workshop.

This may be in part due to when they go on the course page it tells them they are enrolled.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so how did you deal with it?

Thanks,
Larry

me
Re: Enrolment confusion
by George Angus - Monday, 21 October 2019, 5:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry,

How are the learners being enrolled into the course at present?

cheers,

George.

Larry Mitipelo
by Larry Mitipelo - Tuesday, 22 October 2019, 6:10 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023

There's an e-module they have to do before they attend the workshop so enrolment happens when they access that.

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 23 October 2019, 8:21 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry,

I can completely understand how your users could be confused, but I think in the short term its unlikely we'll alter the existing functionality.

However in the meantime we should be able to come up with a sensible workaround to minimise any problem points. 

In order to clarify things for your users (and to build a solid basis for improving the current system) it would be incredibly useful to us to have a good understanding of what type of scenario your users are facing.

Is the 'e-module' a different course? Are the learners enrolled into the seminar course by a dynamic audience? Or is it by some other method? What are they presented with after the e-module and what options are they given?

What I'm trying to identify the journey the user takes and where the ambiguity lies exactly, there are various tools we can use (notifications emails, the calendar & keeping the UI as straightforward as possible) so the users understand what is required of them in relation to what they want to do.

If you could give us a more complete picture of what the situation is then we should be able to at least make it clearer.

cheers,

George.

Carla Bradley
by Carla Bradley - Thursday, 24 October 2019, 5:58 AM

Hi Larry. This was a big issue for us, that we had to work out before going live. I don't know if your situation is exactly like ours, though.

For us, the seminar event is what users search for, (which date/location they preferred), not the course, and we knew it would be very difficult to explain there are actually two separate enrollments happening.

So, we use seminar-direct enrollment for all seminar (workshop) enrollments, so the seminar events are what users see when browsing the catalog. When they sign up for a seminar, they are automatically enrolled into the course.

If, in your scenario, you have valid situations where users are enrolled in the course without going to an event, then I'm not sure this will solve your problems. Our situation was further comlicated by the fact that end-users didn't sign up for events for themselves, but managers allocated space for them. This led to a need for some customizations, but hopefully you won't need that!

Larry Mitipelo
by Larry Mitipelo - Wednesday, 28 October 2020, 7:22 PM

Hi George,

I was looking for something else and found this and realised I hadn't replied. Better late than never as they say.

We have course pages with workshops where user are not enrolled automatically as it's their decision if they want to attend.

The page might have some other activity on it the user has to do before signing up to the workshop.

Regardless as soon as they are enrolled on the course the term starts appearing for them, on the page under the admin block, on the course catalogue.

This causes the confusion as the term "enrolment" implies to them they are enrolled on everything on the page including the workshop. They aren't sure what workshop they are on and in some cases are expecting a notification closer to the time of the workshop they are "enrolled" on.

You can put this down to the user not paying enough attention and I have put in place other information to let users know they aren't "enrolled" on workshops but if the term wasn't enrolment and was say "tracking" that would remove the confusion.

Thanks,

Larry

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 28 October 2020, 8:06 PM
Group Totara

Hey larry,

Im not 100% clear where the word 'Enrolment' is appearing, but if you can identify where it is then you can edit it in the language pack.

Home/Site administration/Localisation/Language customisation

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of where the word appears?

cheers,

George.

Larry Mitipelo
by Larry Mitipelo - Thursday, 29 October 2020, 5:14 PM

We did consider that but the term enrolment is used all over Tōtara and in some cases it does make sense. i.e. course without workshops

We might still go down that track anyway.

Here's where it is appearing for learners.

Under the course on Find Learning

And on the course page itself

thanks

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Thursday, 29 October 2020, 7:14 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site AdministratorGroup V18 Program Complete
We have had similar issues, when learners had clicked on the Enrol Me button and they then thought that meant they were also booked on the workshop as well.  We did have a customisation with the Guest Access enrolment method in Version 11 which gave us a workaround.  Unfortunately we have just upgraded to Version 12 and the catalogue style listing and it doesn't appear to be working.  We are therefore looking to edit the language pack wording so it appears clearer to users.  

Sue

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 29 October 2020, 2:47 PM
Group Totara

Hey Sue,

Could you use the Seminar Direct Enrolment plugin?

'When enabled for a course the seminar direct enrolment plugin allows users not enrolled in a course to sign up to a seminar event. By signing up to the seminar event the user will be automatically enrolled into the course and will be given access to all other activities contained within the course'.

cheers,

George.

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Friday, 30 October 2020, 12:58 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site AdministratorGroup V18 Program Complete

Thanks George, yes we do use that plugin.  I think the customisation that happened under the previous person who had my role has proven difficult to unpick and has had an impact when we upgraded.  I just need to spend some time checking the correct enrolment methods are being used.

Sue

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 1 November 2020, 7:05 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sue,

Ok - good luck! Unfortunately we can't give 100% guarantees we can help out with customisations but we could probably offer some advice if it gets a little tough.

cheers,

George.