Totara Learn Open Discussions

Using date field as dynamic audience criteria

Vladimir Puaca
Using date field as dynamic audience criteria
by Vladimir Puaca - Monday, 1 February 2021, 8:30 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi all, 

I've tried using the date filed (first working day) as the date which controls addition to audience for mandatory training. However, I have some doubts and would like to ask for advice/guidance in this case. 

Some context: Since we have some issues with getting the input from HRIS on active users on time every day, we've adopted the solution which entails that pre joiners in the company also get an active LMS account earlier, but they should be enrolled to the mandatory training on their first working day (because of the due dates). We have info when is the starting day in their account in LMS even before that day is reached. Since we have that info, I've used this to assign mandatory training on that exact date & establish due dates for programs using this date.  However I have some doubts which type of custom user field would be most convenient to use in this case & what ruleset to use in the dynamic audience to achieve timely addition to the audience/enrolment to mandatory training.  

Problem/Question: I would like that a user is included to the audience & mandatory training is assigned on their starting day, but in relation to the time zone that he/she resides in. So even though colleague in Sydney & colleague in Miami are starting on the same date, I would like the one in Sydney (UTC+11) to be added to the audience a few hours earlier & the one in Miami (UTC-5) few hours later. 

However, what we receive from HRIS in the csv file for the first working day is the same date & time field for both of them. Is it possible to somehow work around this & include them in the audience at different times? I think of using date & time field with time zone but I've tested this and it doesn't give me the expected results. 

Has anyone been trying to solve similar issue? 

Thank you in advance!

Best, 
Vladimir

Craig Eves
Re: Using date field as dynamic audience criteria
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 1 February 2021, 2:11 PM
Group Totara

Hi Vladmir

Can you confirm your custom profile field is chosen as Date/Time rather than Date (no timezone) and that the user has the correct timezone assigned  in their profile. If this is the case then I would expect the same date value that is uploaded would adjust according to the users' timezone. The Date/time field can also include the time in it to make things more precise.

The audience rule for the date field has the time and timezone option- if this isn't the case then what version are you using as you may be  on an earlier version of Totara.

Regards

Vladimir Puaca
Re: Using date field as dynamic audience criteria
by Vladimir Puaca - Tuesday, 2 February 2021, 4:46 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Craig, 

thank you for replying so quickly. 

To be honest, I can't remember which type I put in when I made the field, but I've tried adding another one in our staging site and from the looks of it - the one I am using on our live LMS is Date (no timezone). I suppose that is what is causing the LMS not to work perfectly :) Also, is there a way to check which type of custom fields we have in some overview? 

On the plus side, all users have a correct timezone assigned in their profile. 

Yesterday, I've added the criterion to add every user to the previously mentioned audience who is starting on the next day (in the upcoming 1 days) and LMS completed this action today at 12:01 GMT (I see that by the due date & time for a program). This is a good containment measure, but I will introduce another date & time field with time included and test how it goes. 

Thank you, Craig, I know where to go from here :) Will let the community know how it went.  Oh, and yes, we are using Totara 2.9 at the moment. 

Best, 

Vlad