Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Course Reminder/Prompt/Notification

Sue Blake
Course Reminder/Prompt/Notification
by Sue Blake - Thursday, 4 February 2021, 6:04 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Hi, hoping someone can come up with a suggestion for this scenario.

I have a course that requires the learner to submit an assignment to the trainers, basically confirming they have completed all modules and are now ready for an assessment meeting.  

The assignment activity does state they should book the appt with the trainer (the trainer will not do it) but we are finding that learners forget.  

Is there a way to have some sort of reminder/notification that gets sent to them to remind them to do it?  I thought I could use the Reminder function, as we've could a feedback form as one of the modules, but it only seems to remind them to complete the feedback form (which they have already completed).

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

Craig Eves
Re: Course Reminder/Prompt/Notification
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 4 February 2021, 6:01 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sue

I think you are on the right track with the Reminder for a feedback activity. You can create more than one feedback activity for the course and make one to do with confirmation of completion.

Create a reminder based on the assignment activity completion and set an escalation message  This doesn't go to the trainer but to the user's team leader who can then remind the user to book their appointment .

Regards

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Friday, 12 February 2021, 1:08 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Hi Craig, thanks for the reply.  I'm trying to test this in our Sandbox just to make sure the reminder is issued at the right point.  I've attached two screenshots as I'm still struggling with the right way to set it up.  

Once the learner has completed their Declaration they then have to submit the assignment, which is basically and message to the Trainers via the assignment activity saying they are ready to be assessed and will arrange a meeting.  It is arranging the Outlook meeting invite that they are forgetting to do after submitting the assignment.  The assignment activity can only be marked as complete by the Trainer.

Completion to track: should I track completion against the Assignment or the Declaration?

Requirement: The Help states 'The Required feedback activity that needs to be completed.'  I only have one option under this section which is a feedback questionnaire which they will already have completed as it is the first module of the course and don't want the system to force them to complete it again, can you confirm that this wouldn't happen?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 14 February 2021, 2:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sue

Thanks for the details - it sounds like the trigger for the reminder to the trainer is when the trainer confirms that a meeting has been scheduled rather than when the assignment has been submitted.

This will require the Activity completion condition for the Assignment to be 'graded' by the trainer to confirm that the meeting has been scheduled.

I don't think The existing feedback activity can be used as a trigger for the reminder as this has already been completed so a new Feedback would need to be used.

The completion to track would be the Assignment activity -

The Requirement would  be the new Feedback activity 

This is getting a bit complex but can't think of another way to achieve this without using Feedback for reminders .Seminars do have dates and notifications so could possibly be used. Someone else may have some workarounds in a similar situation that they have used.

Regards

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Monday, 15 February 2021, 5:21 AM

Thanks for your input Craig.  I think you are right to enable a reminder would need too many 'tweaks' of a course that is already established.  

An alternative solution may be if I generate a report for the Trainers so they can see who has submitted their assignments as a request for an assessment interview. The Trainers can then do the reminders :-)

Regards

Sue

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 15 February 2021, 2:16 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sue

Thats sounds simpler - there is an 'Assignments submissions' report source that has the learners name , grade and Submission status which included the 'Not Submitted' status . These could be scheduled to send to the trainers with appropriate filters such as course name .

Regards

Simon Seiffert
by Simon Seiffert - Monday, 15 February 2021, 2:22 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator
Hi Sue,

Have you tried the Reenagement plugin before?

We use this a bit throughout our site - welcome messages, reminders, prompts to complete activities, and also activity/course completion messages.

It can target both the learner and/or their manager, and can be suppressed if a target activity is completed, or delayed (via restrictions) until requirements are met - otherwise is fired on course enrolment. 

See how you go!
Simon.

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Monday, 22 February 2021, 2:02 AM

Thanks Simon, I took a look but unfortunately isn't something our Technical Partner would recommend based on our Totara setup.

Regards

Sue