Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Multitenancy / Event Permissions

Harry Dixon
Multitenancy / Event Permissions
by Harry Dixon - Thursday, 1 April 2021, 7:51 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Partners

Hi, 

We are looking to use multitenancy to achieve the setup below:

• 20 groups of users, each one based in a local area.
  • Each group will receive the same course content, but will have different seminar events, with different times / locations / trainers.
  • Each group should have at least 1 admin user who should be able to:
    • Manage users, reset passwords etc
    • Create and manage events (but not any other course content)
    • Manage dashboards within their tenant only

The first of these is fairly straightforward to do with 'Tenant User Manager', but the others I'm having a bit more trouble with. So my questions are below:

---

How can I set up a role which can manage events within a seminar, but cannot edit the settings for the seminar activity itself, and cannot edit any other course activities or settings? 

So far, I've used a copy of the 'Tenant Domain Manager' role, and removed the 'moodle/course:manageactivities' setting, whilst retaining all other permissions. As this includes many of the seminar/event permissions, this user is able to manage events, but not the activity settings. 

Is there a better approach to doing this?

---

Can you set up a role which can edit dashboards, but only within that users tenant? 

In this page https://help.totaralearning.com/display/TL12/Dashboards, I see that the permissions needed to edit dashboards are totara/dashboard:manage, totara/dashboard:manageblocks, and moodle/my:configsyspages

So I set up a role which included the basic learner permissions, plus these 3 permissions. 

When I applied this role in the tenant context, I was not able to edit any dashboards. When I applied it in a site context, the user was able to manage all dashboards, across all tenants. So neither of these achieved what I was looking to do. 

Is there a way this can be done? 

---

Thanks very much if you're able to help.

Harry

(Edited by George Angus - original submission Friday, 2 April 2021, 3:51 AM)

me
Re: Multitenancy / Event Permissions
by George Angus - Tuesday, 6 April 2021, 8:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi Harry,

How can I set up a role which can manage events within a seminar, but cannot edit the settings for the seminar activity itself, and cannot edit any other course activities or settings?

I think you'd have to use a modified Trainer role for this - applied at the Tenant level.

Can you set up a role which can edit dashboards, but only within that users tenant?

No, this would have to be a site role. At present its not possible to create and edit dashboards from within a tenant.

Hope this is useful,

regards,

George.

Harry Dixon
Re: Multitenancy / Event Permissions
by Harry Dixon - Wednesday, 7 April 2021, 12:49 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Partners
Hi George - Definitely useful, thanks! 

Harry