Totara Learn Open Discussions

Certifications based on course completion

Alistair Marshall
Certifications based on course completion
by Alistair Marshall - Tuesday, 20 April 2021, 1:40 AM

HI - I want to assign users to a certification based on the fact they have completed the course contained in the certification. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but if people take a course that they have not been assigned, I want it to expire after 12 months, so I'm assigning the certifications retrospectively. This works if I do it manually but I want to automate it, so I was going to create an audience based on course completion and use this audience as a method of assigning the certifications. This seems to work BUT my question is, when the certification expires, it resets the course completion statusso they can retake it. Will this remove them from the audience and therefore unassign them from the certificiation or does the audience course completion criteria include previous completions?

Thanks

A

Nathan Harris
Re: Certifications based on course completion
by Nathan Harris - Tuesday, 20 April 2021, 2:13 PM

Hi Alistair,

With Dynamic Audiences, you have the option under Rule Sets to "Remove a user's membership when they no longer meet the rule sets criteria."  If you leave this unticked then users will stay in the audience even when they don't meet the required course completion status.

Craig Eves
Re: Certifications based on course completion
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 20 April 2021, 3:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alistair

I think that the user will be unassigned as their current course completion status will be reset to incomplete.

There is an audience rule 'Historic course completion date' that you could use - the date can be an actual date or relative to the current date. This in version 13 - I am not sure what version you have.

Regards

Craig