Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Job Assignments

Stephen Catton
Job Assignments
by Stephen Catton - Tuesday, 27 April 2021, 6:21 AM

Hello folks

I have a learner who receives courses because he is a member of a company. The same learner is enrolled in other courses because he is an apprentice. 

He has a manager for role 1 and another for role 2

I have created two Job Assignments.

My question is how can I limit the courses in the reports for each manager to only those relevant to each manager.

For example, how can I make the apprentice course completion only visible to the Apprentice's manager?

Do I have to use competencies assigned against the position? 

Any help much appriciated

Cheers

Stephen.

Craig Eves
Re: Job Assignments
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 27 April 2021, 9:08 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

Good question - I can't see a way to link a user's specific manager to a course.

I will ask our product team to have a look and see if there is a way to achieve this.

Regards

Stephen Catton
by Stephen Catton - Saturday, 1 May 2021, 9:32 AM

Thank you Craig

Andre Yamin
by Andre Yamin - Wednesday, 28 April 2021, 5:25 PM

Hi Stephen,

There's no way to directly use one specific job assignment to filter content in report builder at the moment.

But you have at least a couple of options to trim down some records from your report depending on your specific needs:

1. Assuming your use case is more about showing relevant data and you don't need to have a hard limitation on visibility, you could simply create a saved search that shows only the Apprentice course completion and add the direct link to the report with the saved search applied to it. You could, for example, add a link to the Apprentice manager's dashboard to the report with the saved search applied. And then do another saved search that shows another record set for different managers. Note that, in this scenario, any report viewer could run different searches and find any other record.
  2. If you do have to completely isolate the records you'll need to limit the visibility of the learning content in order to get them removed by the content restriction "Show records based on audience, course and workspace visibility restrictions" (available from Totara 13 onwards). For example, you'd need to add apprentices and apprentice managers inside an audience and limit the access of the apprentice courses to members of that audience (via audience-based visibility). Then, in the report content configurations tick "Show records based on audience, course and workspace visibility restrictions".

Hope this makes sense.

Kind regards,

Andre.

Stephen Catton
by Stephen Catton - Saturday, 1 May 2021, 9:39 AM

Thank you Andre.

We are still on Totara 12.

I think the saved search is probably the best way to go forward. I hadn't thought about adding stuff to the managers' dashboard. I will have a look at that.