Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Certification Windows

Alistair Marshall
Certification Windows
by Alistair Marshall - Friday, 30 April 2021, 1:07 AM

HI

We have lots of compliance courses and use certifications to manage them as they need to be re-taken periodically e.g. every year or 3 years. Often we have people booked on to courses before the expiry window opens, because a manager might book their whole team on and some might not expire for another 6-9 months. Because their new completion is outside of the expiry window, their certification does not reflect they have retaken the course and still has the original expiry date.  Is there any downside to having the expiry window say 11 months, on a 12 month certification? I realise on the record of learning it will say "window open", but apart from that, is there any downside to doing that? They will still say certified and if re-taken early, the expiry date will extend based on the new course completion date, but I'm not sure if there is any other unintended consequence?

Thanks

Alistair

me
Re: Certification Windows
by George Angus - Monday, 31 May 2021, 8:52 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alistair,

Apologies for the delay. This is fine, but the learners wont be able to finish early if their completions are early!

cheers,

George.

Rihanata Yerbanga
Re: Certification Windows
by Rihanata Yerbanga - Friday, 11 June 2021, 7:48 AM

Hi,

I experience the same issue where managers complete courses for their learners before the re-certification window is opened. And when that happens the new completion goes away when the actual window opens, and the certification will be marked Expired when the window closes. 

What is the best way to fix this problem?

Thank you!