Totara Learn Open Discussions

Badgr password field in Backpack Settings

Andrew Smith
Badgr password field in Backpack Settings
by Andrew Smith - Wednesday, 16 June 2021, 9:46 AM

I'm trying to add the badge I received for completing the "Totara for beginners V13-V14" course to a Badgr backpack.  I created my account at Badgr using my google account (no password needed), however when I go to Backpack settings and enter my email address it returns the following error:

There was a problem contacting the Backpack. Please try again.
If this problem persists, please contact your system administrator.
The backpack returned the error: "Request is missing password parameter.".

There's no password for me to enter since I used my Google account to sign up for Badgr.  What should I do?  What will we tell our users to do, not use SSO when signing up for a Badgr account?  I'm new to Totara and open badges so please forgive me if there's an obvious answer that I'm missing.  Thank you.

Craig Eves
Re: Badgr password field in Backpack Settings
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 17 June 2021, 5:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi Andrew

i will ask one of the Academy staff to respond - it looks like Badgr was added back to Totara 13 - I assume you are using Totara 13.

Regards

Jordan Ash
by Jordan Ash - Friday, 18 June 2021, 3:24 AM
Group TotaraGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Andrew,

If you used oAuth2 to create your Badgr account, you can add additional emails and set a password on your Badgr profile. Your email address should match the email you earned the badge with.

Once you have done this you will be able to upload your badges to your backpack.

Andrew Smith
by Andrew Smith - Friday, 18 June 2021, 7:38 AM

Thank you for the replies Craig and Jordan. I'm going through some Totara Academy courses in preparation for our new instance of Totara Learn being available next week. My issue is as a user of Totara Academy, but obviously it ripples forward into being a potential issue for users of our Totara Learn instance.

I signed up for a personal Badgr account using their Create Account > Create Account With Google option. Since Totara Learn supports sign up/on using Google accounts (and that's how I access my Totara Academy account) I assumed this would be the best way to keep everything in sync and keep me from having to keep track of another password. In other words, this is probably what most of our users will do if they don't already have a Badgr backpack with a username/password setup.

I'm assuming our Totara Learn instance will be v14. I don't know what Badgr uses for their Create Account With feature, but it's probably safe to assume it's oAuth.

I understand that I can create a Badgr account using an email address and password (although if that email address doesn't match the one I use for accessing Totara Learn then it's not really helpful). Badgr won't allow me to add the same email address from my Google account a second time with a password.

I can manually upload badges to my Badgr account, however I was hoping to be able to automatically push badges I earn to my backpack.

Is there an integration that I can install as an admin when we get our Totara Learn instance running that will allow our users to setup their Backpack connection in Backpack settings using the same oAuth/SSO account method that they log in to Totara Learn with? I don't see a way in the Totara Academy system for me as a user to do this. It appears that Moodle supports this:

https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/OAuth_2_Open_Badges_service

Jordan Ash
by Jordan Ash - Tuesday, 22 June 2021, 9:38 AM
Group TotaraGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Andrew,

Once Badger has been linked, you can push badges to your backpack by clicking the backpack icon next to a badge in your backpack.

Your users will need a backpack password to link their badgr account with a Totara profile. You can set a password in Badgr after logging in using oAuth2. The password won't change how you log in to badgr, but you will be able to use this password to link the two accounts.

I'm not familiar with any plugins to help with the linking process. I'll check in with our support team and see if they know of any plugins.

Andrew Smith
by Andrew Smith - Friday, 25 June 2021, 7:56 AM

Thank you Jordan.