Totara Learn Open Discussions

Resubmission of assignments - delete vs archive

Nichole Davis
Resubmission of assignments - delete vs archive
by Nichole Davis - Wednesday, 23 June 2021, 5:09 PM

Hi, I know there was a post about this topic back in January, I just wanted to clarify that there are no alternative suggestions out there...

The scenario is that we have the need for staff to provide a copy of a certificate or course attendance record for courses that are a) completed externally and b) renewed yearly (for example), so that the evidence can be retained in the LMS. 

Our solution to this has been to create the course, create the certification with the renewal period of a year, then have the staff bring their certificate to an admin person who can upload a copy to their profile as evidence, and then go in to the course and manually mark the staff member as 'complete' and the correct date. 

We now have version 13 and were considering the possibility of using the app for people to upload a copy of their certificates as an assignment (which can then be verified by an admin and 'graded' as a way to review it and mark the course as complete). 

The 3 challenges we can see are:

1) the previous years certificate evidence would be deleted and replaced with the assignment resubmission - this would be a problem as we need ongoing evidence rather than just a current version for some course types. 

2) most likely we would experience date inaccuracy - the date they upload the certificate and have it graded isn't necessarily the date they would be actually due to recomplete the following year. (assuming we can get the assignment and course and certification to all work together the way we are assuming it can)

3)  we have so far done something wrong in the test version we have created as the course is showing 66% complete in the app after grading has been done - haven't been able to work out why it doesn't show as complete yet.

If anyone has thoughts or suggestions on alternative options, I'd really appreciate it :-) Thanks.

Craig Eves
Re: Resubmission of assignments - delete vs archive
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 24 June 2021, 7:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nichole

I have an idea that may be worth investigating

It is possible to add evidence to an evidence bank  Once the evidence is uploaded then the evidence can be used in a Learning Plan  

The learning plan can be auto generated for users assigned by audience and the course added to this can have linked evidence added to the course in the lear

This would allow more than one evidence item to be added and the evidence wouldn't be reset when the course is archived 

Regards

Nichole Davis
Re: Resubmission of assignments - delete vs archive
by Nichole Davis - Tuesday, 29 June 2021, 5:25 PM

Hi Craig, 

Thank you for your reply, sorry about my delayed response! I'll look into this, I haven't got much knowledge yet of learning plans, so I'll do my homework on that and see how I go. Thank you for the idea, much appreciated :-)