Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Adobe Method: Password Security on Certificates

Wendy Christopher
Adobe Method: Password Security on Certificates
by Wendy Christopher - Friday, 10 September 2021, 12:15 PM

New course was created. The certificates that are being sent out include a password security feature on them It only seems to cause an issue when I go to combine all the learner certificates into one PDF. It won't allow that, I'm required to do a binder/portfolio which is not a great solution. I can't find where the pdf that is generated from my upload jpeg file is getting that set.

Craig Eves
Re: Adobe Method: Password Security on Certificates
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 12 September 2021, 7:06 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wendy

We can  confirm that the behaviour of prompting a user to enter a password when using an editor is intentional.

Set document protection

* Remark: the protection against modification is for people who have the full Acrobat product.

* If you don't set any password, the document will open as usual. If you set a user password, the PDF viewer will ask for it before displaying the document. The master password, if different from the user one, can be used to get full access.

This is from the SetProtection method description and is to ensure certificates are not being changed by users after being issued. Unfortunately there is no option in the user interface to switch this off. By default Totara does not set a password and this is why it's possible to access without one.

The code that controls/enables  this in the standard Totara certificate module is:  

$pdf->SetProtection(array('modify'));

We've not tested this but removing this/commenting it out from this from each of the four certificate types should remove the password protection (i.e */mod/certificate/type/XXX/certificate.php*). You should _not_ need to edit the tcpdf library at all ( lib/tcpdf/tcpdf.php).

Changes of this type would be considered a customisation and would need to be fully tested by yourselves (any issues that were a result of customisation would be unsupported). 

Regards

Wendy Christopher
Re: Adobe Method: Password Security on Certificates
by Wendy Christopher - Monday, 27 September 2021, 5:57 PM

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I have no control over the code area. I know that other certificates don't have the same issue. I have sent a request to the site administrator to see what is going on with mine. I would think I would know the password, but I don't.