Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Admin being a learner in courses

Jennifer Lam
Admin being a learner in courses
by Jennifer Lam - Friday, 5 November 2021, 10:09 AM

Hi all,

We are using Totara v9 multitenancy where it includes both internal staff training and external client training.

There are tenant admins that need to manage and administrate their client training but also complete internal staff training as learner.

I have thought about creating an account for just administration and an account for their staff internal learning. However, people don't seems to like the idea having 2 different accounts.

Do you have any advice on how I can have their system role as admin but remains a learner for some internal training courses without them having to switch role in the course?

Thank you

Jennifer

Craig Eves
Re: Admin being a learner in courses
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 7 November 2021, 1:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jennifer

The general advice is to create two accounts for the users -  an admin one and a learner one to separate the roles and ensure the user doesn't use their admin role to help pass the course as a learner.

One possibility with assigning an admin and learner role to a user is to prohibit the permission of the admin role in the Learner role. 

This would mean the user who is enrolled in the course as a learner would not have the admin permissions as a permission that is prohibited overrides the permission in any other role assigned to the user.

I am not sure how practical this would be for you but technically prohibiting should work 

regards

Jennifer Lam
by Jennifer Lam - Monday, 8 November 2021, 1:33 AM

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your reply as always!

I am not sure how the admin role would be override by the learner role? I did enrol these admins on the course as a learner, but the system role is overriding the learner role in the course so it didn't work. Do you mean I need to change the permission in the course learner role to prohibit all admin functions?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 8 November 2021, 12:16 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jennifer

Yes that is what I was meaning - prohibiting the admin functions in this role would mean that anyone assigned both roles then the learner role would win over the permission in the admin role as prohibit always wins.

regards