Totara Learn Open Discussions

Totara Learn v12 - Message and Notification Icons

Jacque Cardenas
Totara Learn v12 - Message and Notification Icons
by Jacque Cardenas - Thursday, 11 November 2021, 8:38 AM

Hello, 

I attempted to hide the message and notification icons in our Totara v12 instance so that users cannot see them or use them.  We rely on email notifications (not messages and notifications in the system).

When I tried turning off the message icon, I ended up turning off email being sent from our site.  

Is there a way to hide or turn off the functionality of these icons in the system.  Noboy is monitoring them, and we don't want our learners sending messages into the abyss and expecting that someone will respond.

See attached screenshot.

Thank you,

Jacque

Craig Eves
Re: Totara Learn v12 - Message and Notification Icons
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 11 November 2021, 6:04 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jacques

It is possible to control the default message outputs for users and Disallow task and alert notifications - is this what you have tried when you turned off the message icon? I don't think this will make the icons disappear but it shouldn't show messages against the icons. 

Regards

Jacque Cardenas
by Jacque Cardenas - Friday, 12 November 2021, 8:43 AM

Saved the day again Craig! That is not what I tried last time. Turning off the message outputs for task block, alert block, and web did hide the icons, and I am still receiving email from the system.  Perfect.  Thank you!

Jacque Cardenas
by Jacque Cardenas - Friday, 12 November 2021, 8:52 AM

Darn.  Spoke too soon.  Message icon is still there.  Notification icon is gone.  Messaging is till possible.  Digging deeper into this plugin and the help docs.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 14 November 2021, 5:04 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jacques 

The message icon refers to the messaging system between users. 

It is possible to turn off the messaging system under Advanced features to hide the icon. The problem is both Totara alerts and tasks along with their associated emails also depend on the messaging system being enabled  and you probably want to keep these messages.

regards