Suggest Totara Learn features

Seminar Booking Request notification for Seminars with Manager Approval sending out Calendar appointments

Alex Virtue
Seminar Booking Request notification for Seminars with Manager Approval sending out Calendar appointments
by Alex Virtue - Tuesday, 4 January 2022, 11:52 AM

In Seminar activities that require manager approval, Totara sends out a booking request email with a Calendar appointment attached. This is before the manager has approved the booking.

This leads a lot of Learners to believe they are booked on the course, when in fact they are not, as the manager has not approved them yet.

There does not seem to be a way to prevent this (apart from disabling the booking request email).

Can this please be considered to be fixed in the near future?

Many thanks.

Alex

Larry Mitipelo
Re: Seminar Booking Request notification for Seminars with Manager Approval sending out Calendar appointments
by Larry Mitipelo - Sunday, 9 January 2022, 1:50 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023

I agree.

We have the same issue.

We've changed the name of the notification so the name on the calendar appointment indicates it is a placeholder but it still causes a lot of confusion.

Larry Mitipelo
Re: Seminar Booking Request notification for Seminars with Manager Approval sending out Calendar appointments
by Larry Mitipelo - Monday, 5 December 2022, 12:41 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Kia ora Tōtara,

Is there any way to follow progress on these feature requests? I see if it is picked up for development a post will be added. But there's no timeframe as to when this might happen.

I've been reminded because this has happened again to one of our workshops.

It's been nearly a year since this requested so would be good to know of any progress.

Although I was thinking the calendar appointment does have some value as a placeholder, but I've also noticed that if the approval request expires due to a sign up close off date the notification sent to advise of this does not remove it.

Ngā mihi,

Larry

Ran G
by Ran Gilboa - Monday, 5 December 2022, 3:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Larry and Alex,

It looks like this issue was reported more than once in the last year. See for example HD-18403, TL-34817 and TL-34367. 

However, the general conclusion in these tickets was that this is the expected behaviour, and that in Totara 16+, with the migration of seminar notifications into centralised notifications, it becomes almost trivial for site administrators to prevent this from happening.

Which versions of Totara did you encounter this issue on?

Thanks for raising this issue. We will look into it again.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 6 December 2022, 4:38 PM
Group Totara

Hi guys,

This issue has been resolved in versions 13.22, 14.14, 15.9, 16.3 & 17.0.

See TL-34367 Prevented ical attachments being sent in seminar notifications for requests that have not been approved.

An upgrade will resolve.

cheers,

George.

Larry Mitipelo
by Larry Mitipelo - Thursday, 8 December 2022, 5:24 PM

Hi George,

Can't access that link. I get an error message.

It sounds like that will fix the issue. But would be good to see the specifics of the fix.

thanks

Larry

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 15 December 2022, 11:33 AM
Group Totara

Apologies Larry - its a Partner forum:

TL-34367 Prevented ical attachments being sent in seminar notifications for requests that have not been approved

The idea of this patch is to not include iCal with the Request Approval option as this should only received on confirmation notification.

We are changing here the behaviour for all Request approval: manager, admin, any other role.

Fix version
Created
20/05/2022, 15:54
Updated
14/10/2022, 08:56

cheers,

George.