Totara Perform Open Discussions

Performance activities

Rebecca Hunter
Performance activities
by Rebecca Hunter - Thursday, 17 March 2022, 6:17 AM

Hi

I am currently evaluating Perform to introduce alongside V15.

My question is around performance activities:

1. I don't seem to be able in my testing to get performance instances to be created once the last is closed. I have them set up as open and repeating. The only thing I can think of is that I did manually close some participant's instances - when done via admin does that mean new instances will not be created?

2. What options are there for retiring old performance activities. If we want to change the content (perhaps after a yearly review) there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing this?

Many thanks

Becki.

Phil Williscroft
Re: Performance activities
by Phil Williscroft - Thursday, 17 March 2022, 1:48 PM

Hi Becki.

1. I don't seem to be able in my testing to get performance instances to be created once the last is closed. I have them set up as open and repeating. The only thing I can think of is that I did manually close some participant's instances - when done via admin does that mean new instances will not be created?
    1. No that's correct it doesn't.  We've added this is in v16.

2. What options are there for retiring old performance activities. If we want to change the content (perhaps after a yearly review) there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing this?
    1. Retiring old activities.  The user can hide completed activities from the UI.  Archiving activities is something we have on our backlog.
    2. Re-using an activity.  You can clone the old activity as a new one. 
To elaborate.  In v16 we've focused on changes around admins support for Participation.   For 16 we'll release.
    1. Suspended users activities can be hidden
    2. Admin can Delete an individual from an activity
    3. Admin can Add an individual to an activity
    4. You assign activity participation to a manager's direct reports
    5. closing and hiding activities.  
      1. An activity can be closed at the due date and all empty responses hidden so they don't clutter up the UI.
      2. In conjunction with this we added repeat triggers for 'activity is closed'
    6. And finally we're adding dynamic relationship support.  So as the user in a relationship changes e.g. manager.  Admins have choices about how the old/new managers' participation and handled.  (close old, open new etc etc)

All great stuff!

Tags:
Rebecca Hunter
by Rebecca Hunter - Friday, 18 March 2022, 4:57 AM

Thanks Phil

1. No that's correct it doesn't.  We've added this is in v16.
    2. So what action would you suggest if parcipants instances have to be closed manually? Is there anything I can do to trigger the next instance?
    1. Retiring old activities.  The user can hide completed activities from the UI.  Archiving activities is something we have on our backlog.
    2. Re-using an activity.  You can clone the old activity as a new one. 
    3. If I deleted the old activity would it remove all data from created instances?

Olumuyiwa Taiwo
by Olumuyiwa Taiwo - Tuesday, 17 May 2022, 10:17 PM
Group Partners
Phil: 

Just to clarify, when you say:

"An activity can be closed at the due date and all empty responses hidden so they don't clutter up the UI."

do you mean that activity instances that have responses will continue to be displayed for suspended users?

That could leave a manager with lots of activities for suspended staff (who are presumably no longer in the organisation), especially with the new display style whereby instances are displayed as cards.

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Tuesday, 17 May 2022, 10:56 PM

Hi  Olumuyiwa.

The close on due date feature is independent of the suspended user feature.

Suspended Users

This talks to 2 separate things.

If the suspended user is the subject of an activity, then these can be closed and hidden, along with all the (associated) participant instances.  Because as u say, the user has gone. 

If the suspended user is a participant whether their responses are hidden depends of whether they have responded.  We will retain anything they have added (because what a suspended user did say while they were active is relevant to a conversation.  If they haven't replied their empty response instance will be hidden (because they aren't going to respond).

Close on due date and optionally hide empty responses 

These features are designed to close and activity without having to wait for all participants to respond (the activity is 'complete').  E.g.  I want feedback from my direct reports , but I don't need all my reports to respond, that could take forever.  At the due date close the activity and hide the empty responses.
Arguably an improvement to this idea is that a setting is added to allow activities that have been 'closed down' to also be deemed 'completed' so the activity's state is 'we're done'.

Does this make sense?