Totara Engage Open Discussions

Multitenancy with Engage - Adding content to global library

Brent Williams
Multitenancy with Engage - Adding content to global library
by Brent Williams - Sunday, 27 March 2022, 10:12 AM

It sounds as if when a Tenant admin tries to add content within Engage, even if they select "Everyone", it still only shares that content with their specific tenant.  First of all, I'd like to confirm that is still true.   And second, is there a way to modify the permissions of the tenant admin to be able to add resources to the global site community accessible by all?  

Craig Eves
Re: Multitenancy with Engage - Adding content to global library
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 27 March 2022, 2:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brent

That is correct -

•  users who are tenant members can only see Engage content from the tenant they are a member of 
  • Tenant participants (users who are assigned to multiple tenants, such as Trainers) can access content in the tenants they're assigned to

To allow Engage content to be shared by all users currently the options are a bit limited to 

• not be assigned to any tenant 
  • be a participant in all tenants 
  • the content could be copied to all tenants

Also note that making the content visible to everyone doesn't share the content with the everyone - the 'share with' option needs to be selected so the content shows in the Shared with you button - 

We do have an improvement Tl-33816 to add more options for sharing Engage content to provide more flexibility.

Regards

Brent Williams
by Brent Williams - Sunday, 27 March 2022, 3:27 PM

Thanks, Craig!

Can I clarify a few things?

1)  I was under the impression that tenant users could see content within their tenant AND global content, such as a piece of content added by a site admin or a non-tenant user.  Is that not the case?

2)  Let's say I have a tenant for trainers.  Can a trainer then share content from the trainer tenant to their own company tenant?

3) I read this on the help page you shared:  "If tenant isolation is disabled then system-level users will also be able to access tenants' libraries."  Does this mean that any average user not in a tenant can see all the content in the different tenants?

4) Do you know when Tl-33816 will be implemented, and is there a breakdown of those changes somewhere?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 27 March 2022, 4:30 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brent

I will try this out and confirm that the documentation is correct.

It is possible for a course to be created at the site level and users in tenants can see the site level course and access the resources in the course but this doesn't seem to be the same for Engage resources.

Can you confirm when you say sharing content you mean sharing Engage resources or is this any resource

1)  I was under the impression that tenant users could see content within their tenant AND global content, such as a piece of content added by a site admin or a non-tenant user.  Is that not the case?

The documentation says that isn't the case but will confirm

2)  Let's say I have a tenant for trainers.  Can a trainer then share content from the trainer tenant to their own company tenant?

Only if they are also a participant of their own company tenant

3) I read this on the help page you shared:  "If tenant isolation is disabled then system-level users will also be able to access tenants' libraries."  Does this mean that any average user not in a tenant can see all the content in the different tenants?

It means that the users not assigned to a tenant can see content in the system level - ie any content that is not in a tenant category 

4) Do you know when Tl-33816 will be implemented, and is there a breakdown of those changes somewhere?

This hasn't been prirotised yet so probably at least one major version away - non partners aren't able to access the feature request ticket . I will add a note to the ticket include Multi tenancy issues identified above.

Regards

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 27 March 2022, 5:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brent

Confirming behaviour

1 - You are right - If a workspace is created as a Public workspace by a system user then tenant members and participants can see the workspace and join it and see resources in the workspace. This isn't clear in the documentation so will get this updated . this does make sense as public should mean all site users .

This will mean you can create the shared resources on a public workspace and access these from other tenants 

Regards

Brent Williams
by Brent Williams - Sunday, 27 March 2022, 6:13 PM

You are so responsive, Craig - thank you!

> Can you confirm when you say sharing content you mean sharing Engage resources or is this any resource

I actually am interested in any resource.  Overall, I want Tenant admins to be able to:

1) Add content (courses, Engage resources, etc) to their own tenant

2) Add content (courses, Engage resources, etc) at a site-wide level

3) Take content (courses, Engage resources, etc) from the site-wide level and bring it into their own tenant for their own users.

#2 and #3 create a scenario where we have a collaborative environment, where trainers are encouraged to add their own resources to the community overall, and then can access other people's resources, as well.

> Only if they are also a participant of their own company tenant

I think I may be getting confused with the terminology.  Let's say I'm an "admin" (for lack of a better term) of my own company's tenant.  I'm also a member (but not an admin) of another tenant for trainers.  In that scenario, can I take resources from the trainer's tenant and add them to my company tenant?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 28 March 2022, 1:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brent

Just to let you know I am getting confirmation of the current and possible future behaviour around mutli tenancy and sharing reply . Once this has been clarified we will reply as there are quite a few combinations of settings to work through.

regards

Brent Williams
by Brent Williams - Monday, 28 March 2022, 1:40 PM

Thanks, Craig.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 30 March 2022, 1:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brent

Thanks for your patience - hopefully the below clarifies how things are shared with multitenancy 

The tenant admin can only share their resources with their tenant users or users who are not a member of a tenant. 

If a user is a tenant member, all their Engage activity (e.g. workspaces and resources) is restricted to their tenant, and invisible to users outside the tenant. Having said that, a tenant member can share their content with users outside the tenant, but only those who are not members in another tenant.

If a user isn't a member of any tenant, any resources they create will be stored at site-level, and will be accessible to all site users (as well as all tenants,

Also, 'Find learning' respects tenant membership. For example, a tenant member will be able to see all the public resources in their tenant AND at site-level, while a site-level user will only see site-level resources, but not those which belong to tenants.

For courses this is different. When you create (or edit) a course you can control what category it will be in, so depending on your permissions you can select sitewide or tenant-specific categories. However, resources are forced into hard-coded categories based on the author's tenant membership. 

regards