Totara Learn Open Discussions

Removing User from a Certification when in a Dynamic Audience

Sue Blake
Removing User from a Certification when in a Dynamic Audience
by Sue Blake - Wednesday, 11 May 2022, 6:31 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

I'd appreciate some help with this.

I have created a Dynamic Audience based on course completion, the audience is linked to a certification.  There is a user is in the Audience that HR has advised no longer needs to complete the refresher training of the course.  This happened only after his recertification window opened and he failed to recertify, so it is now showing on his record of learning as expired.

How do I remove him from the Certification, assuming if he still meets the dynamic audience rule set he will automatically be added again on the system update.

Is it a case of adding a new rule for him specifically that somehow will exclude him from the dynamic audience?  This has a drawback if he is required to complete the training again in the future.

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Sue

Liesbet Daelemans
Re: Removing User from a Certification when in a Dynamic Audience
by Liesbet Daelemans - Thursday, 12 May 2022, 12:29 AM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Sue,
I would not remove him from the dynamic audience,  but instead manually recertify this user.
If you go to the certification to the tab 'completion' you can search for this user and 'edit completion records'.
You can set today as his recertification date and in that way he will still be certified.

Good luck!

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Friday, 13 May 2022, 5:18 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Thank you Liesbet.  

So I think then that the certification will just have to sit on his Current Learning as expired, there is no way to remove him from the audience and certification?

Sue

Matthew Carson
by Matthew Carson - Sunday, 22 May 2022, 7:06 PM

Hi Sue

The way we manage additions and removals from dynamic audiences is by creating two set audiences - an additions audience and a removals audience for each dynamic audience.

In the ruleset for the dynamic audience, we add to the ruleset with the allocation rules the 'User is NOT in the Removals audience' rule, and as a brand new rule in the dynamic audience we add OR 'User is in the Additions audience'

As an example, the dynamic audience might look like

Ruleset 1 = 'User has completed xx course' and 'is NOT a member of the Removals audience'

OR Ruleset 2 = 'User is in the Additions audience'

That way if we need to remove an individual(s) from the certification, we can just add them to the set removals audience, and they will no longer meet Ruleset 1 and therefore be unallocated. If we want to add an individual to the certification, we add them to the set Additions audience - even if they haven't completed xx course, they will be allocated the training because they meet the criteria of being in the additions audience.

We find this solution allows us to more finely manage allocations of training without having to do big modifications to our dynamic audiences. It also allows us to give SME's the ability to manage additions and removals to their courses, as they can only modify the allocations 1 person at a time

Hope that makes sense and helps

Matt

Eastern Health, Victoria, Australia

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Monday, 30 May 2022, 12:47 AM

Hello Matt

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I think that might work for us too.  I will do some testing in our sandbox.

Can I just ask what version of Totara you are using?

Regards

Sue  

Diamond Light Source, UK

Matthew Carson
by Matthew Carson - Monday, 30 May 2022, 5:16 PM

Hi Sue

Version 14, but we've had this structure for our audiences since version 2.2!

Thanks

Matt

Eastern Health

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Tuesday, 31 May 2022, 4:13 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

That's brilliant Matt. Thanks for sharing .

Weve been trying to find a work around like this for years !

Best 

Paul