Totara Learn Open Discussions

Course completion reporting

Stephen Catton
Course completion reporting
by Stephen Catton - Thursday, 22 September 2022, 3:46 AM

Whilst working fine before late July, we seem to have developed an issue with the Course Completion report accessed by a line manager (Staff Manager) where not all of the course completions are appearing in the report. The other reports that are accessed by Site Managers are not affected. We have created a new test course completion report and had the same problem.

As an example, we have two courses (A&B) with the correct audiences enrolled. However, the report only shows completion results from course A.

We have a temporary fix where we have added the Staff Manager into both audiences but this is not ideal and it never needed this before as it normally would have worked off of the Job Assignment.

Any light shed on this would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Stephen

Craig Eves
Re: Course completion reporting
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 22 September 2022, 6:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

I can't see any reported bugs around this issue.

What version of Totara do you have - did you upgrade Totara in July?

What are the content restrictions showing in the report?

Regards

Stephen Catton
by Stephen Catton - Monday, 3 October 2022, 9:16 AM

Hi Craig

Version 15.9 (Build: 20220728.00)

can i ask a question? Does the manager have to have visibility of or be enrolled in the same courses as the people he is reporting on?

Will the 3 tear hierarchy below work where Lord Blogs can see all below him??

1. Lord Blogs has no course visibilities and is not enrolled in any courses and not part of the Bloggs Audience. as chairman
  2. Harry Bloggs as Manager who does some of the courses and who reports to Lord Bloggs
  3. Six other Bloggs (it's a family business) who do all of the courses and report to Harry

They are all a part of the PanelBeaters organisation and connected by Job assignments

I am sure this worked before. Please let me know if you need more

Cheers Stephen

Stephen Catton
by Stephen Catton - Tuesday, 15 November 2022, 4:20 AM

Hi Craig

Sorry for the delay in replying. Please find the attached printout of the Content and Access Tabs for a course completion report.

I am testing it with brand new dummy accounts with a 3-tier organisational hierarchy, Company owner, training manager and staff.

The staff only are split into two Audiences and enrolled into different courses. The Training manager and Company owner are not enrolled in any courses. They just need to be able to monitor course completion via their reports.

The courses can only be seen if enrolled in them. they will not show up in a Course Catalogue search.

Currently, the Staff are not showing up in a Course Completion report if done by either the Owner or Training manager. They can, however, see their Team members and the number of courses that they have started and/ or completed.

If I perform a course completion report filtered on the Organisation and Staff Training manager I can see the correct information. However, of course, i have permission to be able to see all courses in the site.

Sorry to throw all of this at you.

Linda Thomas
by Linda Thomas - Friday, 3 November 2023, 12:41 PM

I'm trying to find a resolution directly with our support provider but checking forums here. I have the exact same scenario occurring and prefer a resolution that does not involve either enrolling supervisors in corresponding courses or making the visibility of the courses open to all. If there's been any updates, please direct me to the correct discussion thread. Thanks, Linda

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 5 November 2023, 3:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Linda

There was an improvement added for 15.22, 16.16, 17.10 TL-36700 which added a setting to disable enforced visibility checks in certain report sources The following reports automatically apply visibility checks for courses:

• Course completion

• Course completion Including History

• Course Membership

• Seminar Events

• Seminar Sign-ups

• Seminar Sign-in Sheet

• Seminar Sessions

Previously it was not possible to deactivate those visibility checks and make full use of the existing Content restrictions. We have now introduced a new setting in the "General" tab of these reports which allows admins to disable the checks if required.

Default behaviour for these report sources is unchanged.

In addition we added the ability to use the "Enforce sitewide visibility restrictions" content restriction for the following report sources:

• Record of Learning: Certifications

• Seminar Asset Assignments

• Seminar Facilitators Assignments

• Seminar Room Assignments

• Seminar Interest

regards

Deborah Jackson
by Deborah Jackson - Sunday, 5 November 2023, 11:53 PM

Hi Craig, is this why trainers are unable to view the column which takes them straight to the attendees list in the Seminar Events report? Trainers are assigned at the course level.

Regards

Debbie

Liesbet Daelemans
by Liesbet Daelemans - Thursday, 23 May 2024, 5:29 AM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi,

I have the same question. Why do trainers not see the column 'Take attendance (with link)" in the Seminar Events report? It would be very usefull.

Thank you,
Liesbet

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 23 May 2024, 3:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi Liesbet

This requires the role to be a system level role - I am not sure why so will ask development team.

regards