Totara Learn Open Discussions

Breadcrumb menu: current page and My courses

Natalia Kurikova
Breadcrumb menu: current page and My courses
di Natalia Kurikova - Tuesday, 27 September 2022, 15:56
Gruppo Most helpful contributor 2023

Hi!

Two things we've noticed about the breadcrumb menu:

1. "My courses" is not clickable. Shouldn't that be clickable? Can we enable it somewhere in the Site admin?

2. The link of the currently open activity/resource ("Site navigation" page on the screenshot) is clickable. Is there a way to display it as text, not as a link?

Screenshot of breadcrumb menu

We find that these adjustments would follow breadcrumbs best practice guidelines ('Breadcrumbs should include only site pages, not logical categories in your IA.', 'In the breadcrumb trail, the breadcrumb corresponding to the current page should not be a link')

Has anyone found a way to adjust breadcrumbs to be more user-friendly?

Craig Eves
Re: Breadcrumb menu: current page and My courses
di Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 27 September 2022, 20:11
Gruppo Totara

Hi Natalia

There are a few inconsistencies in the current breadcrumb navigation

Our team have reflected further on some of the challenges presented by our Breadcrumb system, which carries with it some issues that are linked with other system areas and are not isolated, nor easy problems to solve. There's some significant work to be done in the Design and Backend areas to facilitate what our ideal outcome for a revised Breadcrumb system would actually be.

Given that the issue is not as trivial as we first thought, and that we have a number of items in progress and discovery on our roadmap, this is not something we're looking at just now, however we are continuing to collect information on underlying problems with the Breadcrumb system (and related areas), so any further information and pain points you can share with us in detail will help to inform our future approach when we are able to commit effort to improving the current Breadcrumb system.

So you know, we have linked this conversation with an existing improvement titled Breadcrumbs should follow a consistent pattern 

regards

Raechel Wilson
di Raechel Wilson - Wednesday, 28 September 2022, 00:47

Hi Craig

The link to your roadmap is not available. 

Can this please be updated and posted again here?

Thanks

Raechel

Craig Eves
di Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 28 September 2022, 12:38
Gruppo Totara

Hi Rachel

Sorry the product roadmap is only available to Totara partners so you will need to talk to your partner to discuss items planned for future implementation in Totara.

regards

Djamileh Aminian
di Djamileh Aminian - Monday, 5 December 2022, 04:14
Gruppo 2022 Learner of the Year (Bronze)Gruppo PartnersGruppo TXP Site Administrator

Hi,

I step into this discussion as it is also an issue for some of our clients.

To give additional details, we noticed that when a user access a course from the catalogue :

• If they are not enrolled, the breadcrumbs are as follows : Dashboard / courses (clickable > link to catalogue)/ category (clickable but should not) / course name/...
  • If they are enrolled, even when accessing from the catalogue, the breadcrumbs switch to : Dashboard / my courses (not clickable) / Course name
As a rule, we agree with the standard guidelines shared by Natalia.

Thanks,
Djamileh
Natalia Kurikova
di Natalia Kurikova - Tuesday, 6 December 2022, 17:11
Gruppo Most helpful contributor 2023

Hi Djamileh

The Courses (clickable) vs My Courses (not clickable) is something that I'd love to see addressed as well.

As for the categories link, I've been able to remove it by adjusting the settings in Site administration/Navigation/Navigation settings (see the screenshot below): (it might be the first option that needed to be set to No, but I just took off all of them)

Djamileh Aminian
di Djamileh Aminian - Tuesday, 6 December 2022, 23:57
Gruppo 2022 Learner of the Year (Bronze)Gruppo PartnersGruppo TXP Site Administrator

Thank you Natalia, this is very useful !