Totara Engage Open Discussions

Disable Contribute/Add section in Library

Stephen Gentile
Disable Contribute/Add section in Library
by Stephen Gentile - Monday, 14 November 2022, 5:28 PM

I am hoping someone knows of a way to disable the Contribute section for a specific role. We only need the Admin/Site Owner to be able to add content within the Library section of the Workspace and only Learners/general users to view and not see the Contribute section at all. I understand you can disable roles from Adding Resources/Surveys/Playlists but unfortunately it still allows them to view and click on the Contribute section leading to confusion.

Please see attached images for context. Note in NoContribute.png I have manually deleted the section via HTML to illustrate what we require.

Craig Eves
Re: Disable Contribute/Add section in Library
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 14 November 2022, 6:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

I tried removing the create resource permission from the authenticated user role and this prevented the user from adding a resource.

The default authenticated user role has the adding of playlist, resources and surveys allowed

regards

Craig

Stephen Gentile
by Stephen Gentile - Monday, 14 November 2022, 7:59 PM

Hi Craig,

Unfortunately, we require the entire area to be hidden from Authenticated User/specific roles (see my attached screenshots) as we do not want users to be able to see the window shown in your screenshot.

Currently, with all Add Playlist, Resources and Surveys permissions removed from Authenticated User they are presented with the attached blank screen with no cancel or X button, leaving users confused. Even more so, when they attempt to click the "or select an existing resource to share with this workspace" it will produce the attached error as it has been disabled as well.

Any assistance with a way to remove the Contribute button for Authenticated Users either via a custom-added script or plugin would be appreciated.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 16 November 2022, 12:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stephen

I tried preventing the Add Playlist, Resources and Surveys permissions and selecting an existing resource in latest 14 and couldn't replicate the error. Are you or you Partner able to create a ticket with reproduction steps, error message , Totara version and permissions changed so we can fix this error?

Regards

Stephen Gentile
by Stephen Gentile - Monday, 6 February 2023, 6:08 PM

This has since been resolved now with no further issues.