Totara Learn Open Discussions

Differentiating a potential Facilitator with multiple people of the "same name"

harry woodward-clarke
Differentiating a potential Facilitator with multiple people of the "same name"
by harry woodward-clarke - Monday, 23 January 2023, 8:16 PM
Group TXP Site Administrator

Hi there,

I did try various search terms, so I apologise if this has already been answered and I (like an idiot) have missed it.

environment:

Totara 15.11 / Learn

issue:

When adding a new Facilitator, a client-partner is having difficulty because there are two people of the "same name" (same 'first' and same 'last' - different Employee ID's) - e.g. 'Fred Bloggs'

detail:

When navigating to /mod/facetoface/facilitator/edit.php, clicking "Select user..." (for an 'Internal' type), and searching on the name - the two show, but it is difficult (?impossible?) to differentiate between the two that show up.

question:

is there a trick to being able to differentiate between the two - e.g. a switch to add an attribute to be displayed with the name?

reg's,

.h

Craig Eves
Re: Differentiating a potential Facilitator with multiple people of the "same name"
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 24 January 2023, 5:21 PM
Group Totara

Hi Harry

To differentiate users you can add the role to the surname  I added (Totara Support) to my Surname and  am still able to be found in partial searches on surname.

regards

harry woodward-clarke
Re: Differentiating a potential Facilitator with multiple people of the "same name"
by harry woodward-clarke - Monday, 6 February 2023, 1:34 PM
Group TXP Site Administrator
Thanks Craig,

I passed this on to the client, and they were... less than impressed.

I expect, as more people are signed up to Totara systems, there will be more name "collisions". And while it might seem a suitable workaround to change the surname field in the user profile, there are some reports where this may cause some confusion. Indeed, emails / notifications sent to "Dear Mr. Smith (Tutor)..." may be less than welcome.

I notice (from a previous question I had) that there is the "User Profile Summary Card" - I wonder if this might be leveraged to aid the selection? e.g. hover over the user's name when searching in the 'Select user...', and have the Summary Card info pop up.

kind regards,

Harry
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 6 February 2023, 5:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Harry

There are other options - the suggestion was just the easiest solution that works in my case.

Using the profile summary card (in 13+) to display adding custom profile fields to users with the permissions to view the field 

The summary card if shown when a user is clicked on in Engage and also in a courses under Participants 

Custom profile fields can also have visibility settings 

When using the report builder the visibility of the users depends on whether the user viewing the reports has the visibility allowed to view the fields 

Regards