Totara Learn Open Discussions

Is anyone using the 'User Tour' feature?

Jordan Ash
Re: Is anyone using the 'User Tour' feature?
by Jordan Ash - Tuesday, 13 December 2022, 3:38 AM
Group TotaraGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Peter,

You might have noticed that we use user tours in a few places in the community site, such as on dashboards and course pages, so I'll share a few tips that helped me create these tours:

• If you want to place a step somewhere that is not a block, or the middle of the page, then you can use CSS selectors to point to a specific part of the page, you can find out how to get the CSS selector on this page in the help documentation: https://totara.help/docs/user-tour-step-targets
  • Tours can be applied to multiple pages on your site by using a % sign in the URL. The % can mean anything, so for example, if you wanted a dashboard to apply to all courses you can use the target URL  /course/view.php% rather than a specific url such as /course/view.php?id=559. Other examples of this include:
    • Any dashboard: /totara/dashboard/%
    • Users profile page: /user/profile.php%
    • Forum discussion page: /mod/forum/view.php%
  • Dashboards can be imported and exported on your site meaning you can share dashboards, or easily duplicate them to have multiple copies of a dashboard. I've created an example tour here which explains each type of block you might see on a page.