Totara Open Discussions

Trainer to only view tenant participants

Paul Lowndes
Trainer to only view tenant participants
by Paul Lowndes - Tuesday, 10 January 2023, 10:50 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hello beautiful Totara admin wonders!

I have a site wide course and want to assign the trainer role to a user who is a tenant participant. (we are on T15)

I want the trainer to only see the enrolled tenancy participants within their tenancy. 

However when I login as the trainer it seems they are able to see all enrolled users on the course across the site.

Is it possible to set up the trainer role so they only see enrolled users within their tenancy?

Thanks

Paul

Craig Eves
Re: Trainer to only view tenant participants
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 16 January 2023, 5:18 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul

If a user is a tenant participant they are not not exclusively associated with a specific tenant,and users from other tenants will be visible to the trainer

It is possible with separate groups  to add the trainer for group member and they will only see the members of the group.

The addition of members to the group can be automated using audience sync to a group based on audience membership . If you have a audience rule based on tenant membership then you could keep the users separate 

Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

regards

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Tuesday, 31 January 2023, 9:09 AM

Hi Craig

I'm afraid this did not work as expected.

We created a separate group at course level as suggested and added the trainer and a number of learners from the course to the group.

We then logged in as the trainer and ran a grades report but the trainer could still see all learners enrolled on the course not just the one's in the group.

Did we miss something?

Thanks

P

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 31 January 2023, 1:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul

I think the docs are missing something - from memory you also need to make sure that the Access all groups  moodle/site:accessallgroupspermission  is  prevented for the trainer role so they can only see users in their own group. 

regards

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Friday, 10 February 2023, 3:46 AM

Hi Craig and hassanizhar

Thanks for this . Yes we found this setting and changed it to "prevent" user access to other groups.

However, nothing changed.

To recap we have:

- changed the Trainer role permission to "prevent" access to other groups

- Created a separate group and added a handful of users enrolled on the course and added the trainer

- We then clicked on the manage quiz attempts block when logged in as trainer 

-  Instead of seeing the 6 learners we added to the separate group we see all 944 learners enrolled on the course 

Are we missing another step?

Thanks

Paul

hassanizhar hassanizhar
by hassanizhar hassanizhar - Tuesday, 7 February 2023, 5:06 AM

Yes, it is possible to restrict the visibility of enrolled users for trainers to only those within their tenancy. This can be achieved by implementing role-based access control in the application or platform where the course is hosted. This allows administrators to assign specific permissions and restrictions to different user roles, such as trainers, based on their job functions and responsibilities. By limiting the visibility of the enrolled users, trainers will only see the participants who belong to their tenancy.