Totara Learn Open Discussions

Duplicate Users

Christopher Clewlow
Duplicate Users
von Christopher Clewlow – Wednesday, 11 January 2023, 1:58 AM

Hi Everyone,

Currently, we sometimes get duplicate users on our system, this is mainly due to the way we do our induction. We are currently working on ways to eliminate these duplicates.

without a merge user function, can I ask what ways you deal with duplicate accounts you come across? At times both records may have learning on, so deleting the duplicate is not an option. We have a process but it's so long-winded (running reports, doing a course/cert upload) on each account, and wanted to see if any suggestions for quicker ways of doing this.

Cheers,

Chris 

me
Re: Duplicate Users
von George Angus – Thursday, 12 January 2023, 6:42 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi Chris,

We recommend, first of all, identifying the source of the duplication and eliminating it. Then we recommend transferring all the records associated with one of the duplicates to the other and deleting when you are 100% satisfied you've captured everything. This will likely involve the use of Course completion uploads. 

Please note there is no reliable method to merge accounts & we are not currently developing any due to the inherently risky nature of the issue when it comes to user data integrity. I believe there are some 3rd party account-merge plugins available but in our view they will break your site sooner or later.

regards,

George.