Totara Perform Open Discussions

Response visibility

Tena Mikša
Response visibility
by Tena Mikša - Thursday, 12 January 2023, 2:32 AM

Hi all,

we are testing out Totara Perform in order to digitalize our annual appraisal process. What we would like to do is to create an activity that subject needs to fill out. After subject submits his responses, manager should be able to see the responses and add his comments.

Is there any way to make subject's responses visible to manager immediately after submission if the manager is also a respondent? Subject's responses should be visible to the manager before manager submits his own responses. 

I tried the following settings:

• Visibility condition - None (submitted responses immediately visible to viewers)
  • Content - Responding participants: subject and manager (only manager can see subject's responses); no view only participants

However, with these settings, manager first needs to submit his own responses in order to see the subject's responses.

I also tried dividing the content into different sections, where only subject responds in the first section and the manager is view only participant. In the next section, manager is only respondent. However, this is not very convenient from the user experience perspective because the sections are in different tabs and manager needs to switch the tabs in order to view subject's responses. 

I also tried using response redisplay but this wasn't helpful because all of the content was part of the same instance.

Is there any other way this could be solved? Any help is appreciated.

We are using V16.

Thanks!

Phil Williscroft
Re: Response visibility
by Phil Williscroft - Sunday, 15 January 2023, 2:08 PM

Hi Tena.

This does work.  Is the show other's responses toggle on the participant's response UI set on?

Tena Mikša
by Tena Mikša - Sunday, 15 January 2023, 11:49 PM

Hi Phil,

we don't have that option on participant's UI.

BR,
Tena

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Monday, 16 January 2023, 11:52 AM

Thanks Tena.

What version are you on?

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Monday, 16 January 2023, 12:36 PM

To add to this.

This is a screen shot in v13.4  The 'show other's responses is visible here.  I assume this issuer wasn't true in previous versions you have used?

So this looks like a bug to me.  I've not had this reported anywhere else, so that suggests its a build specific bug.  I suggest you speak with your partner and get them to do some digging.

Tena Mikša
by Tena Mikša - Monday, 16 January 2023, 11:35 PM

Hi Phil,

we are using version 16.3.

Thank you for your response, we will check with our partner.

BR,
Tena

Tena Mikša
by Tena Mikša - Wednesday, 8 February 2023, 2:12 AM

Hi Phil,

turns out 'Show other's responses' toggle was hidden in our theme, so it is fixed now.

However, we have another issue. 

We wanted to include manager's manager as view only participant, but manager to manager's manager connection is in a separate job assignment than manager to employee. With this setup, manager's manager doesn't get an instance created when an employee is assigned. Our partner explained that there has to be direct connection between an employee, a manager and a manager's manager in one job assignment for this to work.

However, the job assignments were separated on purpose to prevent manager's manager from receiving all the notifications about their not direct subordinates and cluttering them with too much information that is not relevant for them.

Is there any other way to make this work?

BR,
Tena

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Sunday, 12 February 2023, 8:13 PM

Hi Tena.

I'm pleased we solved the first issue easily.

For the second.  I'll check, but I don't agree with what you were told.  To establish the manager's manger relationship we look at the Job assignments for the user that is 'manager of the subject' and we create an instance for any users that are the a manager for the subject's manager.

In regard to the Perform notifications.  Manager's manager will only receive the notifications where you have defined that relationship as a participant.

Does that help?

Tena Mikša
by Tena Mikša - Friday, 17 February 2023, 2:35 AM

Hi Phil,

thank you for your response. So, if the user's manager has multiple job assignments, it will always look only at the first one?

Regarding the notifications, the worry was that it will affect notifications in Totara Learn, but we tested it out and it seems okay for now.

BR,
Tena

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Friday, 17 February 2023, 12:02 PM

Hi Tena.

If you R using multiple assignments there's 2 choices.

You can send 1 set of instances for all assignments, so for each subject a manager instance will be sent to all the subject's managers (so they'll see each others responses, or certainly responses will be collected together). Or, you can send separate sets of instances per JA.  In this case the subject with get sent many activities each one with only that manager on it.

Notifications.  Up till v17 Perform's notifications are entirely independent.  At v17 we deliver them using the centralised notifications system (which is allot better, you get much more control over them and can create your own easily).

If you want to I'm happy to get on a call with you to discuss your requirements and ideas I have to solve them.

Thanks