Totara Perform Open Discussions

Subcompetencies

Stephanie Dujardin
Subcompetencies
by Stephanie Dujardin - Wednesday, 18 January 2023, 3:19 AM

Hi

For our recruiters, we have competencies in the Talent Management Framework (f.e. Employer branding, L&D --> framework below). 

Below these competencies, there are subcompetencies. If you would click on employer Branding, there would be 4 subcompetencies. I didn't want the subcompetencies in the graph, so I assigned the subcompetencies directly. The directly assigned subcompetencies are all in 1 graph (see blow) but very useless. So I use CSS to hide this graph. The CSS hides the first graph that is assigned. So the order in which you assign the competencies, are crucial. Is there no way to work around this problem or another solution? 

Phil Williscroft
Re: Subcompetencies
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 18 January 2023, 1:50 PM

Hi Stephanie.

To introduce myself, I'm the product manager for Perform.

I agree the charting on the competency profile needs to be more flexible/configurable to meet specific use cases.  2 examples are hiding child (sub) competencies and displaying competencies by framework as well as / instead of Job assignment.

However none of that is true now.

In regard to your question.  Is suppressing the entire self assignment (direct assignment) chart an option rather than being reliant on the order of assignment?

Sorry I can't be more useful.

Andrew Robinson
by Andrew Robinson - Tuesday, 24 January 2023, 5:13 PM

Thanks for this question Stephanie and hi Phil - I'm glad you are looking at this.

As well as decluttering the lists and graphs of child or sub competencies to give users a stronger sense of competency design, I would like to see competencies displayed by default in users' competency lists and performance activities in the order they are created in the competency frameworks (with sort a-z as an option). This is really important!

It is also really necessary to have the children in any list displayed to the user with indents or other visual indications to show they are sub competencies (in the same way they are when built) as this is important make their relationships clear to the people using them. Sure, you can give them a piece of paper with the ordered lists of their competencies but it's really problematic if Totara doesn't reflect this.

People are currently seeing a bunch of random competencies for any job assignment which can be overwhelming and confusing and, in my experience, it has been this limitation more than any that is making Totara a hard to sell to organisations looking at how the whole package can work for them.

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 25 January 2023, 2:47 PM

Hi Andrew.

Thanks for your comments.

In regard to the display of the competency hierarchies.  Yes I agree, the current UI makes it hard to navigate.  We also need to accomodate how different organisation want to display 'competency'.  For instance its common that only the aggregated competency of the parent is displayed rather than the parent and all its children.

The competency pages are old and need re-building entirely, that obviously comes at a cost.  But its all about priority.

So to the community.  +1 these ideas and I will respond to the priority you see for improvements to address.

Thanks