Totara Learn Open Discussions

Program live date

Barbara Shaw
Program live date
von Barbara Shaw – Monday, 13 March 2023, 11:54 AM

Hi! If a program is available from 10 March 2023, however, the first course in the program has a start date of 13 March 2023, will the program/first course not show up on a learners' dashboard in the active learning block until 13 March 2023? 

me
Re: Program live date
von George Angus – Monday, 13 March 2023, 6:50 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi Barbara,

The Course start date doesnt stop the user starting the course, its used to created dated topics within the course.

https://totara.help/docs/en/course-formats?highlight=course%20start%20date

This means the Program will be available in the Active Learning block, and after the user has accessed the course via the program it will also appear there, irrespective of the start date.

Do you want to use a staggered time-based method to make courses available to users?

cheers,

George.

Barbara Shaw
von Barbara Shaw – Tuesday, 14 March 2023, 7:11 AM

Thanks, George. I'm still puzzled as to why the program did no show in the active courses block on test learner's dashboard? Can you please outline what is required for a program and/or course to be considered "live"?
And would you please expand on your question here: "Do you want to use a staggered time-based method to make courses available to users?"

me
von George Angus – Wednesday, 15 March 2023, 7:42 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi Barbara,

I can't see an 'Active courses block'. Can you supply more details? 

The process the Learner usually goes through with Programs is they are assigned, the Program becomes visible in their Record of Learning, they select the Program and they can then see the Courses in the user interface. The Learner only becomes enrolled in the course (via the Program enrollment plugin) when they go on to launch it.

In Totara we dont consider courses & programs to be 'live' as such. When they become available to users and they are assigned/enrolled in them and then they can interact with them. This means the same programs & courses can be made available to different users at different times.

"Do you want to use a staggered time-based method to make courses available to users?"

You can do this by using time-based rules (in conjuction with other rules) in a Dynamic audience/s, and adding Courses or Programs under the Enrolled Learning tab. Off the top of my head you could have, say, a self-enrollable course with a quiz in it. The quiz asks one question 'Do you want to do a series of courses, X?'. And there you have a course completion date you can use in an audience rule to allocate learning.

Hope this is useful - if you can include a screenshot of the 'Active courses block' in your reply that would great!

cheers,

George.

Barbara Shaw
von Barbara Shaw – Thursday, 16 March 2023, 5:18 AM

Thanks for the detailed response, George - very helpful. When I mentioned "active courses" as a block I must have been thinking with my former LMS brain lol. I meant the "current learning" block. 

me
von George Angus – Thursday, 16 March 2023, 8:26 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi Barbara,

I tested this and it definitely shows up, after a page refresh. Can you double check?

cheers,

George

Barbara Shaw
von Barbara Shaw – Friday, 17 March 2023, 6:39 AM

Thank you George - it's working!