Totara Engage Open Discussions

Competencies

Paul Roberts
Competencies
by Paul Roberts - Friday, 28 July 2023, 2:48 AM

Is anyone using competencies in Perform effectively?

Ashley Mundy
Re: Competencies
by Ashley Mundy - Tuesday, 1 August 2023, 2:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul, 

Product manager from Totara here. There are some great examples of competencies being applied in the recent customer  webinars posted in the Customer Story workspace. The two most recent (AssessTech and First Intuition) have both applied competencies in their solutions.  There are also some excellent courses in Academy that explain how to use competencies in Perform. 

Do you mind if I ask how you're thinking to apply competencies? Do you already have a framework or set of competencies defined? What is the outcome you are looking to achieve with competencies in your organisation?

Hope this helps,

Ashley

Paul Roberts
by Paul Roberts - Wednesday, 2 August 2023, 2:22 AM

Hi Ashley

Thanks for your reply and the link to those webinars, I suppose I should have posed my question differently.

'Is anyone using Competencies effectively right out of the box, without having to spend a small fortune getting a developer to customise it for you?'

We have a framework of Competencies with associated behaviours, split accross 3 levels depending on a learner's position in our organisation. I have already been able to implement these into an assignable set of audiences and set up aggregations to display a percentage based on the amount of behaviours completed (our competencies have varied amounts of behaviours) in the competency profile. But all of this so far is just playing with the system, because we know our collleagues won't use it.

What I really need, as has been mentioned on the two webinars, is a way to "reduce the amount of clicks" needed for a learner and/or their Manager to be able to apply a rating to a behaviour, to essentially make it more user-friendly. Without this aspect being steramlined competencies are never going to be used by our colleagues, as it is too 'clunky'.

To use an analogy, imagine pressing a button to call an elevator, then a crank handle pops out of the wall which enables you to manually bring the lift, then a button to open the doors etc. There seem to be layers in the user interface that are no doubt needed for the process to work, but really not needed for a user to have to deal with.

I would love to share our suggestions with your dev team, to see if there is anything we can do to reduce these clicks. Please bear in mind that I am in no way a developer level user of the system, but I do have a fairly good depth of understanding having applied many hours to trying to make it work for us.

Thanks, best regards

Paul

Ashley Mundy
by Ashley Mundy - Sunday, 6 August 2023, 2:32 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul, I'm happy to set up a call with you to discuss improvements to competencies. Can you please reach out to me at ashley.mundy@totara.com and we can book something in? 

Thank you,

Ashley