Totara Perform Open Discussions

Auto-populating learning plans with courses when using TXP 16/17 with competencies

Brendan Kilshaw
Auto-populating learning plans with courses when using TXP 16/17 with competencies
by Brendan Kilshaw - Wednesday, 6 September 2023, 4:21 AM

Hi,

We have Totara Learn, Perform and Engage 16 and are making use of competencies in Perform, with competencies assigned by Position. We would like to explore using Learning Plans, and be able to assign Plans pre-populated with particular courses and competencies based on a users Position, or Audience membership.

Is there a way to do this? From reading the docs it looks like something similar to this was possible in Totara 12, before the shift of competencies to Perform but is not possible if you have moved to Perform, is that right?

Does anyone have any suggestions or examples where they have achieved this using Totara TXP 16 or higher?

Best regards

Brendan

Craig Eves
Re: Auto-populating learning plans with courses when using TXP 16/17 with competencies
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 17 September 2023, 7:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brendan

Learning plans still exist in the same format in Totara 16 so anything you could do with prepopulating learning plans should still be able to be done in later versions.

Performance activities have been added to post Totara 12 versions - this allows competency assignment via audiences or positions. - this also links to resources in the Academy that will help you get familiar with using performance activities.

regards

Brendan Kilshaw
Re: Auto-populating learning plans with courses when using TXP 16/17 with competencies
by Brendan Kilshaw - Tuesday, 26 September 2023, 2:42 AM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting back to me. My understanding is that pre-populating learning plans with courses is possible if you are running Totara Learn but not if you are also running Totara Perform. The method described here: https://totara.help/docs/add-learning-plan-content-automatically relies on linking a competency to a position using this method: https://totara.help/17/docs/link-a-competency-to-a-position but you cannot use that method if you are running Perform as competencies assignments are handled differently in Perform.

As we are running Learn, Perform and Engage, I was wondering if there was another way to add learning content to a learning plan automatically? Performance activities don't seem to have this ability covered as far as I can tell.

Brendan