Totara Talent Experience Platform Open Discussions

Forum Notifications: Image Issue

Peter Imre Oliver
Forum Notifications: Image Issue
by Peter Imre Oliver - Tuesday, 26 September 2023, 6:34 AM

Hi There!

Recently we noticed an issue in our Forum email notifications.

Users receive the notifications, however the profile pictures or images added in the text field (or as attachments) are not displayed in the email.

There is an image symbol in the email (we are using Outlook) and it says to "download images", as they don't download automatically. However there is always an error when doing this. I was able to rule out internal email settings as we are able to see attachments and images from other external emails.

Does someone know of a way to make this work? It would be a nice feature to have, especially in some active forums where users use actual profile pictures. Thank you for your help!

Craig Eves
Re: Forum Notifications: Image Issue
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 26 September 2023, 6:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi Peter

I am not sure how this would work as the email contains a profile image that is stored on Totara which requires logging into to access the file.

Can you click on the URL of the image in the email to see that the image is available without logging into Totara or other site - the image might be stored on a publicly available repository?

regards

Peter Imre Oliver
by Peter Imre Oliver - Tuesday, 17 October 2023, 2:47 AM

Hi Craig,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I checked and what you wrote makes perfect sense, that you have to be logged in to access the file. When I clicked on the URL it took me to the Totara page/profile of the user.

Do you know of a way to have the files "copied", in some way, into the notification email? This would be great for profile pictures and especially images/files included in the post itself.

Best regards,

Oliver

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 17 October 2023, 3:23 PM
Group Totara

Hi Peter

If you are able to store the profile graphic on a publicly available address such as Google drive and paste the url into the notification editor the image will be embedded in the notification without login

For example

https://totara.img.email/images/632035868a1ec.png

This is OK for one file but the user profile pictures are stored in Totara which requires login

There is a way to bulk upload profiles into Totara https://totara.help/docs/upload-a-user-picture but you are wanting it the other way around. I am not sure how the public image url can be added in bulk.

regards