Totara Learn Open Discussions

Audience clean up Best practice

Renee Tregonning
Audience clean up Best practice
di Renee Tregonning - Friday, 15 March 2024, 14:53
Gruppo Partners

I know this one has been written about extensively, and looking for best practice for managing dynamic audiences when things change

Audience structure is now no longer working for the organisation as it has matured and has not been managed well over time.

We have a structure we want to move to however as the dynamic audiences are linked to compliance certifications with clear enrolment / due dates we need to be careful of the changes.

New Certification (and audience structure)

There are a number of options and I want to understand the pros and cons particularly when cert records are important to be maintained.

Scenario:

Learners are in a certification via original audience.

• Users change positions and need to be unenrolled from the older Certification and placed in the new one

• We don't want anyone added to the old certification only to the new one

• Both certifications need to remain open for those learners who are still in the old certification

Audience Membership options

• Adding an End Date to an audience

• Pros, stops any new members to be added and removed, learners can still access the cert

• Cons, what is the business wants people removed from this audience as they no longer meet this requirement? unless they unselect the end date (which will then update ALL)

• Unselecting Automatic Update rules (Make a user a member when they meet rule set criteria / Remove a user's membership when they no longer meet the rule set criteria)

• Pros / Cons and Scenario the same as the above

Wondering how others are tackling this?

Thank you

Renee

Craig Eves
Re: Audience clean up Best practice
di Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 25 March 2024, 12:26
Gruppo Totara

Hi Renee

If I am understanding this right I think in this case you want to remove the member from the original audience and certification when they change organisations so think that you need to enable the automatic update remove member setting as adding an end date only stops members being added.

The Make a user a member when they meet rule set criteria would need to be disabled so no new members can be added .

regards