Totara Learn Open Discussions

SCORM Activity: New Window (Simple) / Browser Blocks Pop-Up

Larry Toban
SCORM Activity: New Window (Simple) / Browser Blocks Pop-Up
par Larry Toban, Wednesday 17 April 2024, 09:08

When configuring a SCORM activity to use the "New Window (Simple)" appearance, users of modern browsers find that the "pop-up" content is blocked by default, displaying the message pictured below:

This obviously results in a poor user experience. Is this Totara's expected functionality?

-- We're using v18.1 (Build: 20231221.00)

Tags:
Larry Toban
Re: SCORM Activity: New Window (Simple) / Browser Blocks Pop-Up
par Larry Toban, Tuesday 30 April 2024, 12:00

As a follow-up to my original post, I'd like to note that we prefer to avoid opening any new windows for SCORM activities. Instead, we would prefer to open the activity in the current window.

Although Totara offers a "Current Window" option, it does not seem to implement the SCORM settings in a way that allows granular control of the SCO presentation. As a result, the content is displayed in a frameset surrounded by other UI elements that have nothing to do with the course navigation. This negatively impacts our course UI/UX, especially on mobile devices, and makes it very likely that learners will inadvertently navigate away from the course content.

We're migrating from an LMS that allows content authors to control precisely how SCOs are launched, including which navigational elements are available and hidden. Essentially, we're used to a configuration exactly like the one you test a SCO on Rustici's SCORM cloud website.

Is this an issue that other course designers have faced? Is there any way to mitigate the issue?

Jonathan Ryder
par Jonathan Ryder, Tuesday 30 April 2024, 15:21

Hi Larry,

Yes this has been a big issue for us as well over the years. We tested using “new window” but as a lot of our users are government their browsers/IT systems would block the Totara popup. We now set up all our courses in the first instance so they can begin in “current window” and then “pop out” into preferred format using the inbuilt eLearn course functionality instead which fixes the problem for us. This can be set up at design stage using the authoring tool such as Articulate etc. Not ideal but could assist you as a workaround!

Naina Manga-Virtue
par Naina Manga-Virtue, Wednesday 1 May 2024, 02:02
Groupe Totara

Hi Larry!

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding the "Current Window" option for SCORM activities in Totara. Understanding these challenges is important to me.

From what I understand, it seems that the core of the issue lies in the lack of granular control over SCORM presentation settings within the current window, particularly the navigational elements. This is certainly something we need to look into, especially considering the impact on UI/UX and mobile usability.

To better address this, I would like to understand more specifically which controls you find lacking compared to your previous LMS and what you've seen on the SCORM Cloud site (I don't have access unfortunately).

Are you happy to expand on them here? Or would you like to arrange a brief call to discuss further?

Thanks,

Naina.

Larry Toban
par Larry Toban, Wednesday 1 May 2024, 08:55

Hi Naina -

Thanks for your reply. Although I could share more detailed information and some screenshots that illustrate the problem, I think that it would be more effective to schedule a brief call. A quick demo will make it easier for you to understand our concerns.

Naina Manga-Virtue
par Naina Manga-Virtue, Wednesday 1 May 2024, 13:47
Groupe Totara

Perfect! I'll reach out to you directly.

Thanks Larry.

Lloyd Wilson
par Lloyd Wilson, Wednesday 8 May 2024, 16:57

This has been something we have wanted and requested for years. I have logged the idea in Totara's new feedback site here: https://totara.canny.io/feature-requests/p/allow-scorm-packages-to-be-displayed-fully-in-current-window