Totara Learn Open Discussions

Updating a SCORM file used as a source for alias/shortcuts

Doug Roberts
Updating a SCORM file used as a source for alias/shortcuts
by Doug Roberts - Tuesday, 20 August 2024, 2:48 AM

Hello all,

I'm trying to replicate a workflow I used at a previous organisation, also on Totara, but I'm unsure of exact versions and/or possible plugin differences and am getting stuck.

The goal was to have a single place to update multiple SCORM files that were added as aliases to courses.

I believe we simply created a course and added all SCORM activities to it, then added those files as aliases to the relevant courses.

However, I do not remember the process for updating these SCORM files.

When I try to replicate this scenario, I cannot see a way to update the source file -- only delete it and upload a new one. But this breaks the link to the courses that use the alias -- as the LMS warns me, alias files are converted to copies.

As I'm going completely off memory, I may be mistaken in the details of exactly how this was set up. But the effect was the same -- a central course containing all SCORM files and aliases in each individual course.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions to get me on track.

Craig Eves
Re: Updating a SCORM file used as a source for alias/shortcuts
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 20 August 2024, 7:02 PM
Group Totara

Hi Doug

There is some information on the auto-update of a SCORM using an alias that may help on

https://totara.help/docs/en/update-a-scorm-activity

regards

Doug Roberts
by Doug Roberts - Wednesday, 21 August 2024, 1:02 AM

Hi Craig,

Thank you for the link. I had read it previously.

That link details creating an alias from a SCORM file, but not how to update the SCORM file you created the alias from.

In the options for the source file, there is an 'Update' button, but that seems to only update metadata, not the file itself. Deleting and replacing the file breaks the link to existing aliases.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 3 September 2024, 6:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi Doug

Once the SCORM is stored on an external repository using an alias then there should be an auto update frequency setting for the package that can be set to every day

Regards

Doug Roberts
by Doug Roberts - Wednesday, 4 September 2024, 12:49 AM

Hi Craig,

Yes I understand that. My question is: given the setup I posted above, how do I update the original SCORM that the alias was created from? As I said above, in the options for the source file, there is an 'Update' button, but that seems to only update metadata, not the file itself. Deleting and replacing the file breaks the link to existing aliases.