Best practice forum (Archived)

Totara 2.2

Marcus Boon
Totara 2.2
by Marcus Boon - Thursday, 30 August 2012, 11:02 PM
Group Partners

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned or if it has been brought up already (I tried doing a search beforehand on the forums but it came up blank) but you are not able to do a fresh install of Totara 2.2. I tried setting one up just to test and it just sat there with a "Database can't be read" error and in the error logs it said something about mdl_config not existing.

I was able to create an empty Totara 1.1 instance and then upgrading to Totara 2.2 though. Just thought people might like to know.

Marcus

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
Re: Totara 2.2
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Thursday, 30 August 2012, 11:38 PM

You need to install the 2.2 code in a fresh folder with none of the old 1.1 codebase present, and make sure your config.php in the new folder is actually pointing to an empty database, where the account specified in config.php as $CFG->dbuser and $CFG->dbpass has create and update permissions to the database .

It sounds like your config.php in the instance you are trying to install is pointing to the wrong database, or has some other syntax errors in the database connection lines.

Marcus Boon
by Marcus Boon - Thursday, 30 August 2012, 11:50 PM
Group Partners

Hi Ciaran,

Yes thats exactly what I did. I created an empty database, then copied the config-dist.php, renamed it config.php and filled in the database details. That failed. Then I used Totara 1.1 to do the fresh install and that worked. I used the same config.php file in both instances, changing things like pgsql (2.2) to postgres7 (1.1) and setting $CFG->dirroot since the 2.2 didn't have that. And it worked. I then switched back to the 2.2 version and pointed it at the same database reverting the changes to the config.php and it upgraded fine.

Marcus

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Friday, 31 August 2012, 12:47 AM

I'm unsure where you are going wrong here, because I do fresh installs a couple of times a day on postgres, mysql and mssql and never had a problem.

The database section of my postgres 2.2 config looks like this:

$CFG->dbtype    = 'pgsql';   
$CFG->dblibrary = 'native';
$CFG->dbhost    = 'localhost';
$CFG->dbname    = 'totara220';
$CFG->dbuser    = 'moodle';
$CFG->dbpass    = 'moodle';

The user being used to connect should be the owner of the empty database. Could you add a screenshot of the error you get when you try to do a fresh 2.2 install to an empty database?

You are right that the 2.2 config-dist is missing the $CFG->dirroot  setting though, we'll fix that for the next release.

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 2 September 2012, 5:14 PM
Group Totara

I'm not sure why it's only happening in some cases, but we have a fix for it and will get it in the next release (2.2.3 due out this wednesday).

Simon

Kyle Egan
by Kyle Egan - Sunday, 2 September 2012, 6:45 PM

Hi Simon,

When is 2.2.4 due to be released. woulden't it have made sense to jump to the latest release of that version? i.e. go from 2.2.1 to 2.2.4.

Regards,

KE 

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 2 September 2012, 7:10 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kyle,

The Totara version numbers are independent of the Moodle ones - all of the Totara 2.2.x releases are already based on Moodle 2.2.4. We only mirror moodle when it comes to major version numbers.

Simon