Best practice forum (Archived)

Reports, Reporting Lines & Positions

Chris Tester
Reports, Reporting Lines & Positions
by Chris Tester - Sunday, 12 August 2012, 6:50 PM

Hi,

In our organisation we have a structure akin to:

3 teams, each led by a Team Leader, who all report to the single Group Manager who in turn reports to the CEO.

i.e.

Staff (60 people across 3 teams) => Team Lead (3 teams) => Group Manager (2) => CEO (1)

The reporting lines are setup OK - so for example:

Geoff (Staff), Reports to Dave (Team Lead), Reports to Jim (Group Manager), Reports to Frank (CEO)

and

Bob (Staff) Reports to Mike (Team Lead), Reports to Fred (Group Manager), Reports to Frank (CEO)

etc.....

We require:

a) Each Team Lead to be able to see the progress of ONLY their direct reports (Done)

b) The Group Managers to be able to see ONLY their Team Leads (i.e. direct reports), AND all of each Team Lead's direct reports.

c) All the above are in ONE organisation and this cannot be changed.

d) The Positions/Job titles must match an external system and cannot be changed.

We tried using the Totara functionality for hierachy with positions in addition to reporting lines in Totara, but as there is not a 1:1 between Staff and the Team Lead positions, this won't work.

It would appear the issue is that we have multiple people with the same Position/Job Title in different tiers of the organisation.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how we can achieve this?

We have had a look at the data model and can write our own SQL to retrieve this - but is there a way we can use this SQL in configuration for the reports, and/or modify the existing SQL used by Totara for the reports?

Cheers,

Chris.

Patrick Appleyard
Re: Reports, Reporting Lines & Positions
by Patrick Appleyard - Monday, 13 August 2012, 12:33 AM

Hi Chris

Are you wanting to report on course activity or the Learning Plan as a whole? 

If it is the Learning Plan, I don't believe their is current functionality at the minute.  We are working with our provider for a solution for this.

If it is in relation to course activity, you should be able to do it by using positions or organisations.  I have just set up some reports to allow tiered reporting for Junior Medical staff.

Regards

Patrick

Simon Coggins
Re: Reports, Reporting Lines & Positions
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 2 September 2012, 7:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi Chris,

I think what you're saying is that you need to be able to create a report based on users all the way down a management hierarchy. Similar to how you can check "all below" for positions or organisations, but for managers?

That is on the roadmap as something we want to add soon, but I'm afraid it's not possible right now.

Simon