Best practice forum (Archived)

Enable self-enrollment at the Program level?

Wen Hao Chuang
Enable self-enrollment at the Program level?
by Wen Hao Chuang - Thursday, 13 November 2014, 11:37 AM

As title, I know we can do self-enrollment at the course level, but how about at the Program level? Is this possible? If not, is there a work-around? Thanks!

? ?
Re: Enable self-enrollment at the Program level?
by ? ? - Thursday, 13 November 2014, 2:36 PM

One workaround that came to mind, though I don't know that it is practical:

Create an course that has self-enrollment enabled, and visibility set as applicable to your use case.

Add a basic activity/label to the course, perhaps a URL activity to the program

Require that the url/label be clicked for course completion

Create a dynamic audience with a rule that requires the above-created course to be complete

Assign that dynamic audience in the program

And this is the really impractical part, user must access the course, self-enrol, complete the "simple" activity, then wait for audience cron and program assignment cron to run, then they have access to the program.

I don't recommend it ;)

Wen Hao Chuang
by Wen Hao Chuang - Thursday, 13 November 2014, 3:11 PM

Jamie, thanks for your reply.

If that's the case, can we add this to the "feature request" list please? Our users have been "trained" to only recognize "programs" and not "courses" (too much confusion). So currently even with just one single course, we will still create a "program" to include that course before we roll it out to our users. Because of this, it would be nice if we can enable self-enrollment at the Program level for some of the "open-learning" training programs. Thanks!

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 26 March 2015, 5:38 PM

Just wanted to advise that a feature request for this functionality has been raised and initially assessed.  Further discussion can take place in the Suggest Features forum thread - https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18157#p45671