Best practice forum (Archived)

How do I create a report to show the results of some feedback activity

Noreen Wolfe
How do I create a report to show the results of some feedback activity
by Noreen Wolfe - Saturday, 9 May 2015, 4:30 AM

Hi,

This is my first voyage onto the discussion forum so if I do or say something wrong please let me know :)  I am using Totara v2.5

I need to gather some information from a group of users to understand what stage they are all at as part of a project. Based on their answers I will then need to implement some training and next steps. So far I have:

Created a course and then within the course I have 6 activities that I have created. All the activities are Feedback activities. The 6 activities are split into different categories and I am expecting the users to go into each feedback activity and answer the questions that I have set within each. - This is working well and I have been able to log on as a user and answer the questions.

My difficulty is how do I extract the answers, along wth the person's user name to understand what stage everyone is at and analyse them?

I have tried to create a report but the Feedback summary report just shows me whether a user has completed the feedback and not their answers.

I can find the Analysis of the report and export this to Excel however it doesn't show me the username alongside the answers even though all questions have been set to associate the user's name with them.

Has any one got any tips for me on the best way to solve my challenge? If you need any more information just let me know.

Many Thanks

Noreen Wolfe

Craig Eves
Re: How do I create a report to show the results of some feedback activity
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 10 May 2015, 2:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi Noreen

The first thing you need to check in the Feedback settings under Question and submission settings is Users name will be logged and shown with answers is selected.

Selecting Analysis tab in the feedback and then export to Excel should create a spreadsheet with two worksheets in it. The detailed worksheet should show the username of the person answering as well as all of the questions answered.

Feedback

It doesn't look like the details of feedback questions are available in a report source . From memory it is possible to aggregate feedback over several courses by using a Feedback template and applying a tag to the feedbacks you want to aggregate. Unfortunately I can't find details of how to do this or whether this was a non standard plugin..

Craig

Noreen Wolfe
by Noreen Wolfe - Sunday, 10 May 2015, 10:26 PM

Hi Craig, 

That is brilliant, worked straight away. Over the weekend I was working on a laptop without Excel, so didn't export it. Tried it this morning and bingo it's all there.

thank you, thank you, thank you

Noreen

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 4:31 AM

Hi, I am posting to an existing thread as it's very close to my question...

Version 2.7.6+ (Build: 20150818.00)

We are using a Feedback Form to capture some specific information relating to learners on a course.

The detailed tab shows us everything we need *apart from the date the feedback was submitted*.

This information is available under the "Show responses" tab of the Feedback Form pages but not in the Excel export.

Is it possible to include this data in the export? Or this there some other way of reporting on the detail of feedback responses, by user, including the submission date (I did not see a report source for this).

Any direction or comments around this most welcome!

Thanks,

Ben

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 3:06 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ben

You are right there doesn't appear to be a date completed for the export of the Feedback Analysis and the analysis doesn't appear in the Feedback report source although the completed date does.

A workaround is to combine the Excel export from both sources into two worksheets and use a VLOOKUP function to provide the completed date in a column of the Feedback Analysis worksheet. A bit messy but the report builder doesn't generally go down to the course activity level so this workaround needs to be used.

regards

Aldo Paradiso
by Aldo Paradiso - Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 12:58 AM
Group Partners

Hi Ben,

another possibility would be to hack the code in the /mod/feedback/analysis_to_excel.php file. Would it be a viable option for you?

Aldo