Best practice forum (Archived)

Issue with Dynamic Audience Enrollment

Katherine Rayn
Issue with Dynamic Audience Enrollment
by Katherine Rayn - Thursday, 11 December 2014, 5:30 PM
Group Partners

Hi Ya

I can't remember if I have posted about this before...but

Dynamic Audiences are a very powerful feature and most Totara users love the idea of them...however there is a majour flaw in the way it works.

Currently, if you create an audience where users can move in and out of them e.g. based on position and some one changes role - the behaviour of Totara when you leave the audience is to unenroll the user from any courses that audience is enrolled in.

This is a huge problem in the courses disappear from the Record of Learning and grade and other information is lost.

The behaviour I would expect is that the learner is at least left enrolled in any courses where they have achieved completion.

Nikki

Austen Sinclair
Re: Issue with Dynamic Audience Enrollment
by Austen Sinclair - Thursday, 11 December 2014, 5:42 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

+1 from me too

We'd like to use this as well but the unenrolment issue is holding us back.

Cheers
Austen

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 11 December 2014, 6:14 PM
Group Totara

One of the options for audience sync in 2.6 enrolment plugin under external unenrol action is Disable course enrolment and remove roles.

This sounds as though it doesn't unenrol people from the course so records would be retained that are deleted when unenrolled but haven't confirmed this.

Craig

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 14 December 2014, 1:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nikki,

This could be solved in two different ways:

1. As you suggest, modify audiences to leave users enrolled even when the leave the audience.
  2. Change the record of learning report to always show courses that have a course completion record, even if the user is not enrolled in the course.

Can you confirm if 1 is definitely what you need, or whether the actual problem is the record of learning which would be fixed by 2?

Simon

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 14 December 2014, 1:24 PM
Group Totara

Actually there is a third way which we have an existing enhancement for:

3. Provide options to "freeze" dynamic audiences so that new users can't be added or existing users can't be removed.

See here for the enhancement ticket for that one.

Simon

Katherine Rayn
by Katherine Rayn - Sunday, 14 December 2014, 5:23 PM
Group Partners

Because is grade information is removed when a learner is unenrolled I would prefer option 1.

Option 3 is good, but will cause problems with learners being presented with relevant courses.

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 17 December 2014, 4:57 PM
Group Totara

Can you explain your answer about option 3 a little more, are you saying that audiences are being used for controlling audience visibility too, so you need people who no longer meet the audience criteria to be removed from the audience but left in their courses?

My main concern here is that if audience enrolments are allowed to get out of sync with the audience membership, it will be confusing as to why certain users are still enrolled in the course. People who were in the audience but aren't any more will still be listed as enrolled via audience X, but when you look at audience X they aren't a member. Also that means there is actually no way to unenrol them (aside from removing the audience completely) - any user who was ever a member of the audience (even if accidentally) will now stay enrolled in the course.

Therefore I think it's worth trying to explore other possible solutions before filing a new enhancement (we might still need to, but I'd just like to explore other options first).

The option Craig described does sort of do what you want - it prevents the grades from being deleted when the user is unenrolled from the course - they will reappear if you reenrol them. However it doesn't really help since the record is still not visible while they are unenrolled. Perhaps though a combination of that option and changes to the record of learning to show all completions might work?

There is another option that I know of that might also help. Currently there are two ways that you can enrol users into a course using an audience. The first way is to 'sync' the audience - which means that the enrolments are kept up to date with audience membership - if people arrive they are enrolled, if people leave they are unenrolled.

There is another option, which is to instantaneously enrol all the members of the audience at that point in time as manual enrolments. That doesn't keep the enrolments up to date (if new members join the audience they won't be enrolled, but at the same time users who leave the audience won't be unenrolled). You can re-run this option whenever you like to add any new members who have joined (and it still won't unenrol old ones).

You can see what I mean in the attached screenshot.

Simon

Haitham Gasim
by Haitham Gasim - Tuesday, 24 February 2015, 6:42 AM

Hi Simon.

With regards to the #2 suggestion you posted:

"Change the record of learning report to always show courses that have a course completion record, even if the user is not enrolled in the course."

is that an enhancement or a feature that is available currently through the UI?

Thank you.

Haitham

Nathan Lewis
Re: Course completion history report
by Nathan Lewis - Tuesday, 24 February 2015, 1:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Haitham and others.

We were just discussing a related issue yesterday when we decided that adding current course completion records to the course completion history report source would be a good idea. Our plan is to implement this change in Totara versions 2.5 and above. Work on this change will begin soon.

Nathan

Haitham Gasim
by Haitham Gasim - Wednesday, 25 February 2015, 12:05 PM

Hi Nathan,

Thank you.

Haitham

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 10:03 PM

Adding current course completion records to the course completion report source in the Record of Learning was included in today's release of Totara 2.5.25, 2.6.18 and 2.7.1.

Work is still ongoing on including similar information on course completion history records in the RoL.