Best practice forum (Archived)

Organisation based theming

? ?
Organisation based theming
by ? ? - Wednesday, 9 March 2011, 1:51 AM

I have a prospective customer who would be interested to have a web page setup per Organisation with a slightly different theme.

I have in fact three questions:

1- Can the Organisation hierarchy be used to separate different companies in which each trainee/student would belong to their respective company. Is it the right way to use the hierarchy ?

2- If it is yes, what would be the way to have a different welcome page for each student/trainee, depending on the organisation they belong to ?

3- If it is not yet implemented, what would be the effort (days of dev) that would be necessary to do that?

Apparently someone from Kineo told them it was possible but I have tried different option (one theme per category) but it is not what I am looking for even if it not too far from what is expected.

Our client is really interested in the feature and is likely to be ready to fund the dev on that. I think it would make sense to integrate it to the core.

Any opinion on that ?

Simon Coggins
Re: Organisation based theming
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 9 March 2011, 7:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Laurent,

At the moment Totara won't do what you describe, but I think it would be a useful addition. If you are able to get it funded I'd be really keen to see us integrate it into the core.

Looking at the current code for course and category themes it would seem like it would be straightforward to add to the current_theme() function in lib/weblib.php. We would also need to add an admin page to allow organisations to be mapped to particular themes. I'd say it is only a few days work.

As for displaying a different welcome message, that would depend a little on how it is implemented, but doesn't sound too complicated. Again you would need an administrative interface for authoring the messages and a small snippet of code to select which message to display.

Another option available to you that could achieve the same result is to use mnet to link separate moodle instances.

Simon

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 10 March 2011, 1:22 PM
Group Totara

In answer to your question on the organisation hierarchy - yes this is what this can be used for.

Companies , branches, departments can be set up as a hierarchy and each user can be assigned to a level on the organisation hierarchy (similar to assigning a position to a user)

The users organisation name is available for reports for further analysis.

regards

Craig

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 11 March 2011, 1:02 AM

Thanks for all this info.

I had a look at the code and it seems quite straightforward.

We will develop that functionality and send you a patch to the core.

This forum post has been removed
Thursday, 31 March 2011, 6:26 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Kathy Dick
by Kathy Dick - Thursday, 30 June 2011, 11:33 AM

I'd also like to know if there's an update on this.

Thanks

Richard Wyles
by Richard Wyles - Thursday, 30 June 2011, 1:47 PM

Hi, it's a good roadmap item but for the time-being the way to do it is via a customization. We have a list of priorities on the roadmap and will put this on the list. One of the Totara Partners may be able to assist with a customization in the interim.