Best practice forum (Archived)

Duplicate Email Addresses Needed!

John Unnever
Duplicate Email Addresses Needed!
by John Unnever - Monday, 10 August 2015, 12:05 PM
Group Partners

Hi there!

So we have an issue where in our TEST environment, we setup different user accounts to perform different types of testing.  For example:  User1, User2, User3, where we put each user into different audiences and want to test their ability to enroll in courses or see different content etc.   However, the person who is doing the testing, for example, myself.. i want each of these accounts to have my email address listed so that as i perform actions, i can also verify that the test users are receiving their notification emails.   

When importing user accounts thru the HR Import tool, we can modify the file to set the email addresses to be the same.  This is something we do when we load real users into a test environment but don't want those users to get blasted by emails while we are testing.  However, when adding accounts manually, we are unable to set the users email addresses to the same email address.  Is there some kind of setting in the system that will allow duplicate email addresses for separate users?

Jamie Kramer
Re: Duplicate Email Addresses Needed!
by Jamie Kramer - Monday, 10 August 2015, 12:55 PM

This idea my not be a good workaround for you, but I wanted to offer it in case it is helpful to you or others. 

If you are using a Google/Gmail based email system, you can use an alias with the "+" character, see https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12096?hl=en I am assuming that other email provider services may also support the same, but to what degree and which ones might support this I don't really know. This has been invaluable to me in testing.

There is also the divertemailto setting available to config.php:

// Divert all outgoing emails to this address to test and debug emailing features
// $CFG->divertallemailsto = 'root@localhost.local'; // NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!

The divertallemailsto feature has also been invaluable to me in testing.

So those don't deal with your specific question, but perhaps that helps as a workaround.

Jamie