Best practice forum (Archived)

Mixed (single course) programs and certifications design for New Hire

Wen Hao Chuang
Mixed (single course) programs and certifications design for New Hire
by Wen Hao Chuang - Friday, 6 November 2015, 1:50 PM

Dear all,

Just want to see if anyone here also have similar problem, where you have to design mixed programs and certifications that need to be assigned to a new hire.

Let's say for compliances perspective, a new hire is required to take 25 training topics (courses). Among these 25 courses:

• 12 courses just need to take once.

• 8 courses need to be refreshed annually.

• 3 courses need to be refreshed biennially.

• 1 course need to be refreshed triennially.

Now, let's say that we want to take advantage of the "message" feature to notify users (and their managers) for initial enrollment/due/overdue, etc. So we have to deploy these trainings at the programs or certifications level (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Currently we are leaning toward "single course" programs and "single course" certifications design (vs. one program with 12 courses, plus 13 "single course" certifications), as it would be easier to troubleshoot any problem later (also easier if we have to adjust the curriculum in the future, etc.). However, with 25 "single course" programs/certifications, this also means that a new hire will be getting 25 "enrollment" emails. I know that maybe we can selectively enable "enrollment" email, say, just pick one among those 25 "single course" prog or cert to enable enrollment message. However, this is not ideal either as:

(1) Not all users assigned to these trainings are New-hires or are new users in our LMS. So if we disable the enrollment messages in each individual topic we risk other users (ex. folks we manually enrolled, employees switching jobs) never being informed that they were enrolled in the training.

(2) Having the emails active in all topics ("single course" progs/certs) ensures that a user is informed every time they get new training, but for New-hires specifically, they'll just get quite a few (25 to be exact) in the beginning. Plus, if we have quite a few new hires for that week, it may trigger spam filter and mark these emails as spam, etc.

Any thoughts or comments about what's the best solution for this problem? Thanks!

me
Re: Mixed (single course) programs and certifications design for New Hire
by George Angus - Monday, 9 November 2015, 11:22 AM
Group Totara

Hi Wen,

Could you have programs/certs for new hires - and different ones for people who are not?

cheers,

George.

Wen Hao Chuang
by Wen Hao Chuang - Monday, 9 November 2015, 12:29 PM

That would not be ideal for the Reports...

me
by George Angus - Monday, 9 November 2015, 2:01 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wen,

What kind of issues do you envisage?

cheers,

George.

me
by George Angus - Monday, 9 November 2015, 2:37 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wen,

If I was tackling this Id have 3 certifications and one program for the courses you mention 12, 8, 3 & 1. So that would be 4 enrollment messages initially.

There's no need for anyone who isnt a newstart to be enrolled into any of these courses by the newstart program/certifications, in fact Id imagine it would make reporting easier if you used separate progs/certs.

cheers,

George.

Wen Hao Chuang
by Wen Hao Chuang - Monday, 9 November 2015, 2:25 PM

Hi George,

I guess I didn't quite understand what you meant by "different ones for people who are not." Did you mean create different programs or certs) for existing users?