Best practice forum (Archived)

Possible bug in setting appraisal view permissions in Version 2.6.21.1

Maurice Moore
Possible bug in setting appraisal view permissions in Version 2.6.21.1
by Maurice Moore - Wednesday, 2 September 2015, 3:12 PM

When setting permissions for a Long Text element type, the ability to set the "View other role's answers" permission is greyed out unless the role also is set to be able to 'Answer' the element. This affects existing appraisals if the admin views and "Saves changes" the element (regardless of there being any changes to save).

Scenario: I was updating an appraisal to streamline the workflow. When viewing a Long Text element being used for the Manager to provide feedback to the person being appraised (we call the 'Candidate'), I noticed that the ability of the Candidate to "View other role's answers" was greyed out, albeit with a tick still showing. When the "Save change" button was pressed, and the appraisal previewed (or element reviewed), the Candidate is unable to see their manager's feedback. The only way of enabling the candidate to view their manager's feedback is to give them the ability to 'Answer' the element which is not appropriate. See below for "Steps to reproduce" defect.

This is a change in functionality from previous versions (when the change happened I cannot say). Behaviour seen in Version 2.6.21.1  It only affects new elements (only Long Text checked) or when the "Save changes" button is pressed (whether or not a change has been made). 

I have tested this on a Version 2.7.6 (Build: 20150818.00) test server (we are about to upgrade) and the defect is not present in that environment. 

______

Steps to reproduce: 

1. Open an existing appraisal and view a "Long text" element or create an appraisal and add a "Long text" element.

2. Attempt to set a role permission to "View other role's answer" without setting any other permission.

Expected result:

1. Long text element setup box displayed

2. Permission can be set

Actual result:

1. as expected

2. Permission cannot be set without first enabling "Answer"

NOTE: It is also now possible to set the "Required" permission when the role does not have permission top "Answer". It appears that the coding for the "Required" and "View other role's answer" has been corrupted.

me
Re: Possible bug in setting appraisal view permissions in Version 2.6.21.1
by George Angus - Wednesday, 2 September 2015, 9:43 PM
Group Totara

Hi Maurice,

Could you channel bug reports through your partner?

many thanks,

George.

Maurice Moore
Re: Possible bug in setting appraisal view permissions in Version 2.6.21.1
by Maurice Moore - Wednesday, 2 September 2015, 10:13 PM

Hi George,

Yes I will/do. However as we do not have visibility of bugs reported through channel partners, this forum seems a logical place to check whether issues have been reported by others - and if  they are bugs and not an admin/config error.

I always check this forum to see if others have experienced similar behaviour before reporting.

Maurice