Best practice forum (Archived)

Progress bar on home site doesn't show course completion

Pavol Facko
Progress bar on home site doesn't show course completion
by Pavol Facko - Tuesday, 6 October 2015, 12:50 AM

Dear all,

I am struggling to find the correct settings in order to display the course progress in the "My Current Courses" block on the home page. Although I have finished and closed my test course (SCORM package, only item to complete) a few times now, the progress is not shown as "100%" in the block.

What am I doing wrong? Are there any articles in this forum dealing with that issue that I haven't come across yet? Could this be an issue within the SCORM content as I published it from Articulate Storyline?

Sorry for bothering you with that - still a beginner in those issues.

Many thanks for your help in advance!
Regards, Roxi

? ?
Re: Progress bar on home site doesn't show course completion
by ? ? - Tuesday, 6 October 2015, 10:35 AM

May I ask, before going too far, what version of Totara are you running? There could be any number of things that can be configured wrong, including course completion settings, Scorm activity completion settings, Scorm activity settings, authorware tool (storyline) settings, etc, but if you aren't running a recent version then an upgrade would be the first thing I recommend before spending too much time troubleshooting it. Multiple bugs have been addressed and fixed.

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 6 October 2015, 10:40 AM

I wanted to offer a little bit more that might help others troubleshoot your issue. Can you provide screenshots of:

1. The course completion settings page
  2. The Scorm activity completion settings (in the scorm activity within the course)
  3. The Scorm activity settings

Also, for good measure, ensure that cron is running (though it should be calculating completion automatically, it can't hurt to check).

Finally, a few more questions:

• have you changed the course or activity completion settings requirements AFTER your test user engaged in the course? If so this could be a cause.
  • are you testing this with an end-user/learner account or an admin/course-creator account? If so, I recommend a test-user/learner account for testing this rather than an account with "extra" privileges

Jamie

Pavol Facko
by Pavol Facko - Tuesday, 6 October 2015, 11:42 PM

Dear Jamie,

many thanks for your replies. Regarding your questions:

• We are currently running Version 2.7.6 (Build: 20150818.00). We recently upgraded from a rather old version to this one, which is the reason why we are doing the configuration work now.
  • Also, cron is currently running, although not in regular intervals. Already reported this to our technicians to set up respective intervals.
  • Yes, we partly changed the course and activity settings, hoping to finally find the right configuration :-) However, we set up some courses anew and did not change any settings after initial setup.
  • Yes, we are using dedicated end-user accounts to prevent result falsifications.

Please find the three requested screenshots attached.

Appreciating your help very much,Roxi

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 7 October 2015, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the screenshots. Can you check and see if your learner is receiving a grade for taking the Scorm activity? I ask because the scorm completion is set to require a grade, and if the user isn't registering a grade then the activity won't be complete. One other thing to check... in the course, course reports menu, activity completion report... I am assuming that the scorm activity is not showing complete...

I am suspecting that this is due to a combination of the Storyline publishing settings and the Totara scorm activity settings (which you already alluded to). I am not going to be of much more help on that I'm afraid. Perhaps some other people with more experience on that can chime in. I was hoping to just cover the basics settings which you provided in the screenshots, and nothing is standing out to me.

Pavol Facko
by Pavol Facko - Thursday, 8 October 2015, 12:48 AM

Dear Jamie,

thank you for reviewing our settings and providing us with feedback.

Please refer to the attached screenshot. The user's attempt is currently listed as "Completed" but does not show a grade. This is due to the fact that our SCORM package does not issue a grade per attempt (a dedicated number of points based on a question-answer-play) but only provides the feedback whether a user has completed a course or not (this is only the case if the user successfully viewed ALL slides within the SCORM course and this is configured in the SCORM package like this; it is rather an "awareness" course, not a knowledge verification course).

Could it be that the problem is here? The SCORM package only returns a completion status but not a grade? Our assumption was, that the progress bar on the home page is linked to whether a course has been completed or not. However, if the progress does require a grade, then of course it is not going to work, right?

Again, many thanks for your great support and prompt feedback!

Regards, Roxi

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 8 October 2015, 6:37 AM

Hi Roxi. I think you should try to disable the setting in the scorm activity completion settings for "require grade". If it is  not possible to receive a grade from the scorm package then I think this setting should not be enabled. 

The basic idea of each activity's completion settings is to define what it means to be "complete." Some activities you might configure to only require the user to click (view) the activity. Other activities might make sense to require a minimum grade (like a quiz). Other activities, like your specific Scorm, only requires that the user completes the scorm activity, as per how the scorm package itself is designed and configured. So I recommend that you disable the "require a grade" option in the scorm activity completion settings.

Scorm completion settings with annotations

To change this setting, the scorm activity will probably prompt you to "unlock completion and delete completion data." If, and only if, the course is not in use in production (in other words, no "real" learners have engaged in the course, and only testing is occurring), I would recommend you click that button to clear out completion data for this scorm activity.

Next, go to the course completion settings (At Course Administration -> Course Completion ) click the button (if it exists) to "unlock criteria and delete existing completion data) IF AND ONLY if the course is not in use in production (in other words, no "real" learners have engaged in the course, and only testing is occurring).

Now wait for cron to run, or force/manually a cron to run.

Hope that makes sense.

Pavol Facko
by Pavol Facko - Monday, 12 October 2015, 12:59 AM

Hi Jamie,

we tried disabling the settings and re-accessed the course with our learner user but unfortunately there is no change in the reporting behaviour (although we ran cron a few times).

The even bigger problem with our current settings now is, that we cannot track any of the attempts that a learner makes, except for the very first one. No matter how many times we successfully finish a SCORM course, in the reports we see that our test learner only has one attempt. However, if we as administrators take the course, ALL our attempts are counted. This is a problem, given the importance of this use case for us.

Do you know why this anomaly is caused? Currently we have "force new attempt" enabled, because according to our understanding it counts every access of a course as an attempt (so that the user is not forced to check "Start new attempt" manually each time).

Many thanks for your help and guidance,

Roxi

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 15 October 2015, 1:42 PM

Hi Roxi. With regards to the scorm activity not getting a "complete" record, I am hoping others with Articulate experience can give you some pointers. I'm just not experienced with this.

For the SCORM attempts, can you tell me which report source you are using for reporting on this? I am assuming it is the SCORM report source right? I will keep thinking on this but I don't have any ideas right at the moment. It seems to me that your settings should be tracking multiple attempts. Sorry I'm not more helpful today!