Best practice forum (Archived)

Assigning Temporary Manager

Saffron Newton
Assigning Temporary Manager
by Saffron Newton - Thursday, 2 October 2014, 9:35 PM

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with temporary managers at the moment. I want to assign a temporary manager however she doesn't appear in my list of available temporary managers when I click on the "Choose temporary manager" button.

"If the name you are looking for does not appear in the list, it might be that the user does not have the necessary rights to act as a temporary manager."

I have tried to compare her permissions to someone who is on the Temporary Manager list however I cannot see any differences. Any clues as to where I can assign her the permission to be a temporary manager? I have already assigned her as a "staff manager" via "assign system roles" but she is still not appearing on the list. No idea how the 100+ users already on the temp mamanger list got that permission.

me
Re: Assigning Temporary Manager
by George Angus - Sunday, 5 October 2014, 4:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Saffron,

If the capability tempmanagerrestrictselection is set to Only staff managers, they have to be already managing someone.

regards,

George.

Susan Neumans Van Buren
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Sunday, 23 November 2014, 5:26 PM

George,

My situation is that every user in my system is showing up as a choice as a Temporary Manager, even if they are not managers. In the one situation where I have set a temporary manager, she isn't seeing the individual under "My Team," which I believe she is supposed to be able to see and which I want her to see.  

Please forgive my inexperience, but where would I find the "capability tempmanagerrestrictselection"? I couldn't find it when I looked in  Home  Site administration   Users   Permissions  Capability overview

I'm not sure where else to find it or how to ensure the temporary manager can see the person we want her to see. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Susan

? ?
by ? ? - Sunday, 23 November 2014, 7:00 PM

Hi Susan,

It's a configuration option under

Site Admin -> Users -> Permsissions -> User Policies -> Temporary manager selection

You can select whether "All users" or "Only staff managers" show up when choosing a temporary manager.

Susan Neumans Van Buren
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Monday, 24 November 2014, 6:05 AM

Thank you, Ciaran. Thanks to your direction I was able to change the temporary managers to staff only.

However, the staff manager I selected to be the temporary manager is still unable to see the employee in her Team Members list under My Team. She can see her direct reports, but not the temporary person. What else might I be missing?

Best regards,

Susan

me
by George Angus - Monday, 24 November 2014, 3:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Susan,

You can find "tempmanagerrestrictselection" by cutting and pasting into the search box and the bottom of the admin block. Is the temp manager already a manager? When you say "her direct reports" can you send a screenshot?

regards,

George.

Susan Neumans Van Buren
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 7:59 AM

Hi George,

Susan W. is a manager with direct reports already. In case it is relevant, she oversees a different department in the same division (has the same boss as the manager, Bill C.). I made Susan W. a temporary manager for the Engineering/GIS Tech position.

The person in that position is not showing on Susan W.'s "My Team" page, even though Susan is a temporary manager of that person. I believe I read that Susan should be able to see the individual in the position she is temporarily supervising in her My Team page. Is that correct?

Attached is the screen shot of how I set up the temporary manager position for the position.  What other screen shots might be helpful to help me troubleshoot this issue?

Best Regards,

Susan 

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 7:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Susan,

When you click on the "My Team" tab as admin can you choose "Edit this report" on the right, and then click on the Content tab.

Can you confirm that "Records for user's temporary reports" is ticked?

regards,

George.

Susan Neumans Van Buren
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Wednesday, 3 December 2014, 9:05 AM

Thank you, George! That fixed the issue!!