Best practice forum (Archived)

Manager completing course completion for their staff

Steph Wild
Manager completing course completion for their staff
par Steph Wild, Monday 8 February 2016, 03:26
Groupe Learn Site Administrator

Hi,

I haven't used this functionality before and I would like a manager to be able to mark a course as complete on behalf of a member of his/her staff.

I've given them access to do this and used the course completion criteria settings so that they can do so however when they look at the course completion report (which I think is where they would need to tick to complete it) they can see all staff who are enrolled on the course and complete any of them, not only their own staff.

Is this correct or is there a better way of doing it so that the manager can only complete their own staff?

Thanks
Steph

Alistar Wickens
Re: Manager completing course completion for their staff
par Alistar Wickens, Monday 8 February 2016, 12:39

I'd be interested in a solution to this too - we're currently doing what you've already tried, but it would be nice to limit managers to just their own staff.

Cheers

Alistar

Mei Chan
par Mei Chan, Monday 8 February 2016, 20:07

We have this requirement from our business and I am interested in this as well!

Rickard Skiold
par Rickard Skiold, Tuesday 9 February 2016, 00:53

Hi, 

We've built two activity modules, Manager Approval and Manager Alert - where the first one makes it possible for staff managers to approve activities (and thereby courses) for their employees. It works pretty much the same way as manager approval in F2F, but as a separate activity.

Those modules are contributed to core, and there are plans to include them in a future release, not sure when they might be included. 

Also see this thread: https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18220 

//Rickard

Steph Wild
par Steph Wild, Tuesday 9 February 2016, 06:14

Hi Rickard,

This all sounds great - does the activity module you describe only allow that person's own manager to complete it or can anybody with 'manager' level access complete it for any member of staff?

Do we know when it might be available from Totara core?

Thanks
Steph

Rickard Skiold
par Rickard Skiold, Tuesday 9 February 2016, 07:25

Hi,

Anybody (with the capability to "approve learners you don't manage") can approve learners, but tasks (and emails) are only sent to the learner's staff manager.

Haven't got a recent update, but a while ago we were told that the plans was to include it as part of a 2.9 point release, don't know if plans have changed.

I've attached our admin/course creator guide about this activity module. 

//Rickard

Steph Wild
par Steph Wild, Friday 12 February 2016, 04:19

Hi Rickard,

Thanks for the guide, it looks like exactly what we are looking for, here's hoping it will be available soon.

Many thanks for your response on this.
Steph

Rob Bloor
par Rob Bloor, Wednesday 10 February 2016, 00:51

Hi

The manager approval looks good, something we could use.  As an add on to this thread (maybe I need to start a new one?) we use manager approval for certifications using “My Team->Required-Mark complete” which fulfils our current needs.

However only a direct manager can do this.  Does anyone know of a way of allowing indirect manager the ability to obtain/use this functionality?

Thanks

Rob