Best practice forum (Archived)

Scheduled reports delivered late

Wen Hao Chuang
Scheduled reports delivered late
door Wen Hao Chuang - Wednesday, 17 February 2016, 09:53 AM

Hi, we are running 2.5.30.

I noticed that in Totara 2.9.2, for "scheduled report," there are "Every X hours" and "Every X minutes" options now (which we don't have in 2.5.30.

I believe our Totara Partner (possibly) backported this feature to 2.5.30 for us (just for the "Every X hours"). However, we are running into some issues with this.

It seems that there are some "dependencies" for the "scheduled report" cron to run on time. For example, if we need a "program completion" report being generated every 1 hour, and output to the File System automatically, it does NOT always generate the reports on time. Sometimes it would be many hours late.

My questions:

1. What exactly are the dependencies of the "scheduled report" cron and how do we make sure that it will always be generated on time (e.g. for "hourly" reports)? Notice that we already disabled the scheduled "course level" backups which seemed to be one of the major bottlenecks.

2. Would TL-6659 help in anyway, to make sure that the scheduled hourly reports would be run on time?

3. If we upgrade to Totara 2.9.2 (or above), would we still experience the same delay issue?

Thanks!

me
Re: Scheduled reports delivered late
door George Angus - Wednesday, 17 February 2016, 12:20 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Wen,

Please take this up with your Totara Partner. This is a discussion forum and not a support channel.

kind regards,

George.

Wen Hao Chuang
door Wen Hao Chuang - Thursday, 18 February 2016, 14:39 PM

Hi George,

We did take this up with our Totara Partner but based on our past experience, sometimes our partner would just create a Totara support ticket (which we won't have visibility with), and it would take a long time before we can get any resolution. That's why I'm posting my questions here hoping that someone from Totara core team could respond to some of these questions. Thanks! :)

me
door George Angus - Thursday, 18 February 2016, 19:20 PM
Groep Totara

Hi Wen,

We have many, many subscribers and we need formal channels to manage and track our work. We cant respond in-depth to ad-hoc & frequent posts like this, nor can we formally triage and prioritise potential bugs, help requests and discussions by just responding to those who shout loudest. 

We have a ticketing system. It works for us, our partners and for your partner's other clients. I've been in touch with your partner, and I've also been in touch with our US Channel Partner Manager, and our Head of Customer Service Delivery about your concerns. We will address them and be in contact with you shortly to see how we can satisfactorily resolve your issues for everyone involved so that you receive the best possible customer service.

cheers,

George.