Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Visible Filter in Course Report Source

Michelle Lamont
Course Visible Filter in Course Report Source
על ידי Michelle Lamont בתאריך 7/06/2016, 00:02

Hi,

I'm wondering whether someone can explain how the 'Course Visible' filter in the Course report source is intended to work.

When you add it as a filter, the options to select include - Any Value, No, Yes.

My interpretation of these options, which could be incorrect, is:

• No - don't list the course if the course is not visible to anyone
  • Yes - list the course if the course is visible to all, an audience or enrolled users
  • Any Value - show all courses regardless of visibility

If the above is correct, then I'm not sure why:

• a couple of courses that are visible to all users aren't showing on the course report when the 'Course Visible' filter is set at Yes.  They only appear when the filter is set to 'Any Value'.
  • a few courses that aren't visible to any users are showing on the course report when the 'Course Visible' filter is set at Yes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Michelle

Craig Eves
Re: Course Visible Filter in Course Report Source
על ידי Craig Eves (Totara Support) בתאריך 7/06/2016, 21:00
קבוצה Totara

Hi Michelle

This value in the report filter for the Course report source seems to be the value in the Visible field for the course when audience visibility is turned off.

Once audience visibility is turned on then the Visible field is not accessible The audience visibility options of visible to all , visible to enrolled  and visible to enrollled and audience are not included in the filter. To adjust the Visible field you need to turn the audience based visibility off and select Hide or Show.

This is confusing - I think the audience visibility option might be good to include as a filter field as well. 

regards

me
על ידי George Angus בתאריך 7/06/2016, 21:41
קבוצה Totara

Hi Michelle,

This is how it works normally:

• No - List the course if its not visible.
  • Yes - list the course if the course is visible.
  • Any Value - show all courses regardless of visibility.

The problems arise when you enable Audience-based visibility, as it says under Advanced settings -

"Warning: Enabling this setting will change the visibility of courses, programs and certifications across the whole site - the existing "Visibility" setting and the "viewhiddencourses" capability will no longer apply, so courses, programs and certifications that are currently hidden may become visible."

The fact you can use this filter when the Audience visibility is enabled is a bug. I've alerted our dev team about this, an alternative option will be part of the solution.

cheers,

George.

Michelle Lamont
על ידי Michelle Lamont בתאריך 7/06/2016, 22:00

Thanks George and Craig.  Appreciate your help.

Just wondering though, if I've not misunderstood -  the 5 courses missing from the report are relatively new.  They were certainly created after Audience-Based Visibility was turned on.  What is consistent with these courses, but is probably coincidental, is they are the only courses that contain > 1 SCORM module.  Filters selected in the report is to show visible ('Yes') course with SCORM or LTI as an activity.

Anyway, look forward to the fix being released.

Thanks again, Michelle