Best practice forum (Archived)

How to assign multiple "managers" to a learner?

Wouter Maenhout
How to assign multiple "managers" to a learner?
by Wouter Maenhout - Tuesday, 17 May 2011, 12:20 AM
Group Partners

Hi, i'm pretty new at Totara.

I was wondering how i could assign multiple managers to 1 learner. In our case we have a training coordinator, team leader, mentor, ... all with different responsabilities towards the learner.

Is it possible to have more than 1 or even more than 2 managers assigned?

Thanks in advance.

This forum post has been removed
Tuesday, 17 May 2011, 1:11 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Wouter Maenhout
Re: How to assign multiple "managers" to a learner?
by Wouter Maenhout - Tuesday, 17 May 2011, 1:24 AM
Group Partners

Hi Dani,

thanks for your swift response.

If i understand Totara well, line managers (assigned managers to a learner via the profile) are currently the only ones (next to the learner himself) who are able to implement learning plans and track their immediate progress.

Via the report builder "higher ranked" managers would be able to see the different reports of all the people "under" them, e.g. Manager of depth 1 will see everyone on depth 2 and 3. Manager of depth 2 will see everyone on depth 3.

Is this correct?

Maybe it would be possible to allow "managers" higher up in the hierarchy to create learning plans for everyone in the deeper levels based on the organisational or Job position hierarchy.

Thanks in advance

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 17 May 2011, 2:31 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wouter

That is correct about only the manager assigned in the users primary position will have access. There is some discussion about making this more flexible , this would be a big job.

The report builder has the option under the Content tab to include records from child positions or organsations and from memory this includes all sub levels.

There is also some discussion on the automatic assignment of learning plans and connecting this to a program of courses and competencies.

https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=464#p1693

You are welcome to join in the discussions on the requirements.

Your initial requirement was that you had different people with different responsibilities towards a learner. This sounds like this would be better achieved by defining roles and assigning these to users rather than assigning positions. You could define roles that allow the viewing of course progress, grades for the learner etc.

For more details see http://help.totaralms.com/Define_user_roles.htm

regards

Craig

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Saturday, 21 May 2011, 5:54 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Craig

Really interested in this area.  However, your link returns a 'Course isn't enrollable' so I assume it's in the partner area.  Any chance you could summarise where this is at?

Cheers
Austen

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 22 May 2011, 2:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Austen

Yes this is in the partners area - only because this is where the question was asked rather than it being only applicable to partners. I asume you are were wanting a summary of the automatic assignment of courses and competenicies to learning plans.

The automatic assignment of courses and competencies can be done through options in the advanced workflow of the learning plan.

I have created a template called Automatic assign courses to learning plan on the demo site. This has to be made the default plan for users to create a plan based on this.

Login as demo admin and go into Workflow > Advanced workflow settings > Competencies and check the settings. You need to tick the box that says include linked courses.

I created a learning plan based with someone with a organisation that had a competency assigned to it  http://help.totaralms.com/Assign_competencies_to_organisations.htm which in turn had evidence of a course included.http://help.totaralms.com/Assign_Evidence_Items.htm

There are some issues - the learner doesn't automatically get enrolled in the courses (this is a requested feature and is hoped to be implemented soon)

There is also a program management specification that is being worked on where programs made up of multiple courses can be assigned and managed. Currently this is limited to courses only but also looking at the possibility of connecting to competencies to enable them to be assigned to learning plans.

If you are wanting some info on the assignment of multiple manageres I can also summarise where this is at.

Craig

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 17 February 2012, 4:24 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 19 February 2012, 4:03 PM
Group Totara

Hi Niek

The secondary position is just for administrative purposes - it is used to indicate if a person has more than one position but the primary position is used when doing things such as assigning learning plans, programs, etc.

I can't see  the secondary position  available in a report source such as the User - it would be possible to do this though through editing the source to include this field.

Craig