Best practice forum (Archived)

Certificate not behaving properly on prdocution server

? ?
Certificate not behaving properly on prdocution server
by ? ? - Monday, 12 December 2011, 4:11 PM

Hi,

I'm testing out the course certificate on our production Server. I can initially receive a course certificate as a Learner role user. Certificate is set to be emailed to user.

When I re-enter the course and try to review my certificate nothing happens - certificate doesn't open and can't save another copy either.

Also the certificates don't seem to be saving in the course data, even though I have the setting turned on. I can view the issued certificates page, but there are none listed in the table - even though I know certificates have been issued...

thanks,

-Ira

Craig Eves
Re: Certificate not behaving properly on prdocution server
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 12 December 2011, 5:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ira

I haven't been able to reproduce this - does the certificate that is emailed look Ok without any strange characters in it.

Are you able to delete this certificate and create another one in the same course to see if this works.

If this doesn't help we will need to get some more details of your system.

Craig

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 12 December 2011, 10:44 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 12 December 2011, 11:33 PM
Group Totara

We have a fix for Amir's issue now, should be in tomorrow's release.

Ira, is your issue only happening when you choose one of the 'unicode' types? If so the fix we have should fix it, otherwise we might need more information to be able to reproduce the issue.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 14 December 2011, 8:49 PM

which are the unicode types of certificates? the default ones?

I tried adding an new certificate activity to a new course using the default certififctae settings/images and I get the same error - no certificate displays on the review my certifictae screen

Prod System details:

• Totara LMS v1.1.3
  • Linux Server
  • IE8 webbrowser
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 15 December 2011, 12:49 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ira,

It's a setting under design options > Certificate Type. By default it's landscape but there are a couple of unicode options too.

It sounds like your issue is separate to the one Amir was having - we'll get someone to take a look.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 15 December 2011, 1:50 PM

Hi Ira,

We're having trouble reproducing this bug. There are a couple of things you could do to provide us with more information so we can track this down for you:

1) Turn on Debugging mode - this will display various error messages as part of each page. Go to Site Administration -> Server -> Debugging. Set the first dropdown "Debug messages" to DEVELOPER, and check the"Display debug messages" checkbox immediately under that, then "Save Changes" at the bottom of the screen. You may want to do this at a time you know most of your users will not be on the system! Then navigate to the screen to try and view your certificate, send us a screenshot of any error messages that appear, then turn Debugging mode off again

2) Send us the error log: Again in the Site Administration block, click on the top link "Notifications", then on the "Download error log" button, and send the resulting file to me at ciaran.irvine@totaralms.com

That should hopefully give me a bit more information to work on so we can get this fixed for you.

Ciaran

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 9 January 2012, 7:01 PM

Hi, i've turned on error message debuggind mode, but don't receive any errors. i have attached the siteerror log I'm wondering if it is a server environment issue... When I click the "Review my certificate" button a dialog box appears for Adobe PDF reader: Then after selecting open or save, nothing seems to happen. There also seems to be a delay until certificates are saved into the certicate activity data within the course. Users are not able to review their certificates once received initially...
? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 9 January 2012, 7:07 PM

why can't you upload images to use within posts anymore...?

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 9 January 2012, 7:08 PM

save dialog error

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 11 January 2012, 2:48 PM

Hi Ira,

I've been able to reproduce this. It's another case of a known IE issue with secure SSL installations running over https://

See

https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1190

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q316431

A patch for this issue will be in the next release, or you can temporarily patch it yourself if this is urgent, you have access to the code on the server, and feel comfortable with that? Let me know and I can send you the code snippet and where it should be added, it's only a few lines.

Regards,

Ciaran

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 11 January 2012, 3:08 PM

Hi Ciaran,

Unfortunately at this time i do NOT have access to source code on the live production server (currently v1.1.3)

We need this issue fixed quite quickly as staff are completing courses and not receiving certificates.

If you can send me the code snippet and where it is needed, I will try and get IT department to fix it for us.

Also I couldn't access that the first link - is it a Totara partners forum?

thanks,

-Ira

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 15 January 2012, 12:27 PM
Group Totara

Ciaran has been in touch off-list.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Sunday, 15 January 2012, 3:55 PM

Hi Ciaran,

I managed to get the IT guys to implement the patch you sent through to me - which has fixed the issue. big grin

I've noticed a possible other bug/problem with the certificate:

Have a course set up with 10 or so short quizzes and a feeback activity. The certificate locking options were set as:

• all quizzes, required grade = 100%
  • feedback activity, required grade = No

The problem was that the certificate wouldn't recognise when a user had completed the feedback activity but acknowledge all their quiz scores were 100% - therefore not producing them with a certificate.

is there another setting i'm missing to make this work?

thanks,

-Ira

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 25 January 2012, 5:42 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ira,

I've had a go at this and I can't seem to make it work either! I think that the problem is that the feedback module doesn't appear to send any grade data to the gradebook, so there's no way for the certificate module to know if you have taken it at all.

The only way I could get access was to remove the feedback condition from the certificate, but of course that means they can get their certificate without needing to view the feedback!

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 30 January 2012, 8:09 PM

Hi Simon,

Yes I have had the same experience. Ideally we would like our users to have filled out the course feedback survey before recieing their certificate.

It seems weird that the certificate module recognises the feedback activity as a conditional activity and is seemingly set up to include it. Although then it fails to display the certificate when linked to the feedback activity...

Is the certificate module a standard module in Moodle? Do you know of any updates to the certificate module?

thanks,

-Ira

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 31 January 2012, 5:46 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ira

The feedback activity doesn't seem to have a grade that goes into the gradebook.

A way around this would be to create a quiz that has the feedback questions in it and use this to lock the certifcate module.

You would include a question that a mark is awarded for no matter what answer is provided such as an essay question. You could then lock the certificate based on a minimum grade of 1 for this quiz.

Craig

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 6 February 2012, 8:39 PM

Hi Craig,

That seems like a pretty clunky workaround and you lose all the nice analysis tabs built into the feedbakc activity. I think it would be confusing for users, with all the standard icons we are using to help differentiate activties.

Is it possible to add in code to pass a score in the feedback activity so it could be recognised by the certificate module?

I believe Totara/Catalyst did some work for Austen Sinclair in adding a passing score to the face-to-face activity...

-Ira

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Tuesday, 7 February 2012, 12:09 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Craig

The Catalyst Work Request to pass a score from the Feedback module to the Gradebook is WR82554.  It's a simple thing, when all the 'required' questions have input from the user it sets a 100% score in the gradebook.

We absolutely depend on this modification for our compulsory Level 1 evaluation process and will fund having this in Totara 2.

Cheers
Austen

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 2:10 PM
Group Totara

If this has already been implemented it shouldn't be hard for us to integrate it into Totara - assuming Austen is happy to share the modification from Catalyst.

Simon

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 2:51 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Delighted to share!

Simon: would you like a seperate email to confirm?

Cheers
Austen

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 4:13 PM
Group Totara

Hi Austen,

No that's enough, I've created a bug in our system to request the code from Catalyst and integrate it.

Simon

This forum post has been removed
Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 5:32 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 15 February 2012, 8:20 PM

Hi all,

The 'make feedback set a grade when completed' patch has been released in today's (16th Feb 2012) release v1.1.11

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 26 January 2012, 1:29 PM

I'm pleased to report a fix for this issue was included in the 1.1.9 release yesterday (26th Jan 2012), if anyone else is having the same problem.
? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 7 February 2012, 6:19 PM

And this fix has made it into the 1.0 series with today's 1.0.31 release